Thread: simple curtains with drop cloths!

simple curtains with drop cloths!

I am working on a project to make curtains for the retreat center the Buddhist teachers in Boulder bought not too long ago. I went on retreat there last summer and it was amazing. The building needs a lot of work, so last summer I was frustrated that I didn't have any skills to offer. Then I noticed the curtains that were bugging the crap out of me the whole time. So I offered to sew some curtains and it was well received. I have not been able to go back up, the winter closes the place down. I made some smaller curtains for these unique bathroom windows and sent them to the primary person, however I have not been happy with my attempts at the other curtains. The windows are wide but not long. The lodge was built in the 1920's and is simple wood walls. I first got muslin but that was not going to block enough light. I want to do basic tab top curtains with something mid-weight and a neutral color.

Well the miracle that is pinterest gave me a new idea, canvas drop clothes from Home Depot! I read some tips so I am washing them now. It is recommended to wash twice and iron while damp. The color looks perfect, a basic tan. I have a lot of muslin still and think I can put a back on them, just sewn together at the top instead of a truly lined curtain. Plus a 6ft by 9ft cloth was $13.

https://rockymountainecodharmaretreatcenter.org/

That is a great idea for sourcing simple, inexpensive fabric!

That is a great idea! I might steal it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Good idea. I used drop clothes for kennel covers for our local animal shelter. Wash well and very durable.

I washed the fabric and cut out the fabric for the ties. One drop cloth will cover one window (50 in wide by 30 in high). Definitely iron while damp!! That was a bear to get ironed, it came out of the wash in a ball. I saw drop clothes used for couch covers, pillow covers and curtains in the ideas on pinterest.

Yes, years ago I made some slipcovers out of dropcloths. But I think I washed them 4 times before starting work, just to try and soften them up a little bit. One of the covers is still going strong in my study. The other furniture was given to some young relatives just starting out a few years back.

Thread Information