Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm taking a carpentry course!

Sounds great! I took home ec and shop, actually most everyone had the option to take both. I really loved it, my mom had some candle holders for years.

A folding table sounds like an awesome project, when you are done and if you want to do more there are maker spaces you can join that have lots of tools available to use. I am supposed to check one out, then I get busy. So many cool things to make

Good for you. I find fabrication one of the most awesome things that can be done. To take something out of raw material and create something of value is awesome. Also we live in a broken world.(2nd law of thermodynamics) so go out there and fix it. Be careful with the tools and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Nice! I did get to take shop in junior high and enjoyed most of it. Not that I've made anything with wood beyond a shim for something else...

I'd love to take a class in furniture refinishing. We have several pieces ready for it. I know I could watch YouTube videos and the like, but there's something about actually working with someone on a particular issue that videos do not address efficiently. I haven't found an adult ed course for that, however.

rosa, you'll have to take pictures of the finished tables and post them here!
    Here is a class you may be interested in Minneapolis. Costly though?
    http://www.blueskygalleries.com/class.htm

That sounds like so much fun!!! And so practical! Please report back. It's a wonderful skill to have
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd love to take a carpentry class, or maybe auto repair--something useful that I'm not good at. I've searched in vain for such classes in my area.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it seems to me that such classes used to be much more available than they are nowadays. In my area there are a number of community colleges, but they only seem to offer standard college prep and vocational (e.g., medical technician) types of things. There are also night classes offered by the towns, but so far as I can tell it's mostly hobby stuff like photography or painting.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Here is a class you may be interested in Minneapolis. Costly though?
    http://www.blueskygalleries.com/class.htm
    Wow, frugal-one! I'll be checking that one out! I hadn't heard of that gallery. $150 ain't walkin' around money but it's not much at all compared to what I'd have to pay someone to do it for us. Thanks!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat
    I'd love to take a carpentry class, or maybe auto repair--something useful that I'm not good at. I've searched in vain for such classes in my area.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it seems to me that such classes used to be much more available than they are nowadays.
    I guess we're pretty lucky that the Saint Paul school district still offers a wide variety of classes in basic home repair, cooking, financial planning,... I even took a class in small-engine repair that saved me far more than the class cost. Here's the catalog (PDF), if you want to look at it.

Not to diverge off-topic, but so many items these days are not designed to be repaired or repair is not economically feasible, so there's little demand for courses in how to fix stuff that can't be fixed. I also suspect many people -- teachers and students -- find it difficult to commit to even 3-4 weeks of classes.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I would like to do that, too! Anytime I've done simple projects like a raised garden or baseboard molding it never looks quite professional. Sometimes it's lack of skill and sometimes just not having good tools. I took a welding class several years ago and it was interesting and fun, but since I won't own a welder it ended there.

I have refinished furniture but those days are over. My last project was an an antique swiveling desk chair that I picked up for a song, but the nasty chemicals kind of convinced me it isn't a healthy thing. I think there are a lot of newer products that are less toxic, plus respirators, and gloves.

AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to see your pics!

I was also not allowed Shop class in 1975. I got out of HomeEc....I was already tailoring my own clothes and cooking big meals. The 2 semester class goal was to sew a skirt and bake a cake. Really? 32 40 hour weeks for that???????????

We've done our entire cabin remodel ourselves and it's such a great feeling to mill every single board for cabinetry/mouldings/window/door frames. (not to mention the $ saved). You're going to LOVE it!

Maybe once you finish the class you'll have the skills to help catherine cut her table in half!

Thread Information