A few months ago, DH and I found a Boos island/table. For our new lake cabin, we need something next to the stove in an approximately 2' x 2' space, and I was looking for a quality 2nd-hand butcher block.

So we just ran into this one (pictured) in the consignment shop that has provided many of the furnishings in our current home over the years. Even though I wasn't sure about whether or not it would fit we bought it for $375. (New Boos tables go for over $1200). I was a bit nervous because the table is the right width (24") but not really the right depth (48"). I figured we could use it as an island/peninsula.

BUT when we went up in March it was very clear to me that the double-wide butcher block was not going to work. On the way home we had the brilliant idea to cut the table in half and then brace the legless half against the wall next to the stove.

Any suggestions on how to cut this sucker in half? Should we go to a professional or would we be able to just draw a straight line and do it ourselves. If we do it ourselves, what kind of saw do we need?

IMG_3984.jpg