Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

I read the book this weekend. Didn't learn anything enlightening however, I thoroughly enjoyed her storytelling.

Today I got home from work in less than 10hours. I poured a cocktail and went through every cupboard/drawer in the kitchen. Tossed some outdated pieces of paper hubby had saved, an electrical gizmo charger cable, 3 recipes we don't need because we already have something close enough, 1 container that was broken around the rim/sharp edges, and it's lid, 4 cookie cutters going to a woman at work because I don't make cutout cookies (these were gifts), a St Patty's towel/potholder that were a Christmas gift going to a coworker who LOVES St Patty day, threw out the dregs of old gluten-free flour X2 (I wanted to try it once).....we do use everything else we've retained in there at this point in time.

Tomorrow morning I plan to go through magazines-I subscribe to just 3. I like to keep just 12 months recent. However, I know I am behind on keeping them thinned out.

well done, Gardnr!

Today was a forced day off work. i went through that 14" tall stack of magazines. Reread some articles, tore out interesting recipes and a few travel places. The rest is now residing in the recycle bin.

Then I knitted a dishrag, watched 3 shows off the DVR (so it's getting cleaned up too), and quilted up 2 kiddo quilts I made 3weeks ago, using 2 small pieces of fabric for the backings. I have a planned use for the remains of those backings.

I'll be using leftovers from my scrap binding box to bind these 2. I've been using up those leftovers for awhile and have reduced the stuffed box and bag down to a comfortable box full.

I'm now eyeing my bookcases too. I got rid of more than 50% years ago. They could fit in 1 now.....but I like them so they are very loosely filled and I put my cookbooks in one for easy access instead of the cupboard above the fridge (which is empty).

i dug in the freezer and took out 2 vacuum sealed turkey broth bags and a bag of smoked turkey. Made a fantastic soup for lunches along with some aging celery, carrots and green beans. I want to empty the freezer of everything prior to 2017 harvest. I'm getting close.

You're doing well, Gardnr - I like the cocktail strategy!
    I helped Mom go through her white pants yesterday. She actually had about 30 pairs! I have 19 of them to be donated or given to fabric recycling. She had been quite resistant to us tacking this until yesterday, so I was happy to be able to do this with her instead of relegating it to "death cleaning," and now it will be easier for her to find her clothes that do fit and are wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    She actually had about 30 pairs! I have 19 of them to be donated or given to fabric recycling. She had been quite resistant to us tacking this until yesterday,
    WOW! 30? yikes.......even as a teen making my own paycheck I never owned 30 pr of pants total. Yea you!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    WOW! 30? yikes.......even as a teen making my own paycheck I never owned 30 pr of pants total. Yea you!!!!!!
    I know, and those were just the white ones, and we live in Massachusetts with relatively short summers.

you are one patient daughter!

Rosarugosa, your mom and mine are soul sisters! My mom has a huge walk in closet, and has no motivation to cull even the clothing un worn since my childhood - and I'm over 50!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I know, and those were just the white ones, and we live in Massachusetts with relatively short summers.
    You may qualify for sainthood

I'm not really the most patient person (although I'm certainly getting plenty of opportunity to work on that) and I'm most definitely not saintly. I do like to organize stuff; it is a natural area of strength for me, so I don't really mind helping with that sort of thing.
    However, I do feel like I earn good daughter points when I sit and watch "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with Mom. She just LOVES that show, and if I'm there, it makes her happy if we watch it together. So I do, although I find it somewhat painful.

Thread Information