Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

Motivated by recent experiences cleaning out two deceased parents' homes, and our renewed efforts to clean up our own place so as not to place this burden on our daughter, I read this trendy book the other day. It's a quick read, and motivational. Not full of tips-and-tricks, but more of a mindset book.

1.5 thumbs up.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Love this book. I am determined not to leave a big mess for my kids. Plus it is so nice to have clean and organized spaces.

I want to get a copy of this book. I have been going through and getting rid of things for some time now because there is no one after I am gone. Friends are going to have to deal with what is left, so I hope to work on it from now till whenever that day comes. I think this book would be a good source of advise and inspiration.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Isn't this what used to be known as "settling your affairs"?

I got a copy of this book from the library yesterday and have just started it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I'm on the wait list for the book. Maybe it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Isn't this what used to be known as "settling your affairs"?
    "Settling your affairs" to me has always meant financial matters and the like. That can be in order and the house left behind can still have a lot of stuff.

Went through our cookbooks today. Generated 7/10 of a pickup truck bed load of books to take to the yearly library sale. Bringing us down to just the cookbooks we have a loving relationship with, or are using for research.

Before, the top above every cabinet in the kitchen had cookbooks, as well as this builtin bookshelf, and there was 1/2 a large bookshelf elsewhere with cookbooks.

All told, I've removed ~3500 books from the house over the past month or so.

You are a god of book weeding!

Book Decluttering—the final frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You are a god of book weeding!

Book Decluttering—the final frontier.
    It is a terrible terrible thing.

We moved here with perhaps 6000 volumes. 20 years ago. You can imagine the problem.

We have a guest cottage at my Mom's house here that was going to be a dedicated library, with a nice fireplace, but we used it to house someone in need, ~18 years ago. So the books have piled up at the main house.

It is so very hard giving up all these memories of who we used to be, who we dreamed of being, and all the infinite possibilities books represent.

But we use books so differently these days - I almost always get them on a Kindle to save space/effort, and to be able to find the darned things. It would perhaps have gone differently if we'd maintained the separate library building concept.

Thread Information