Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rosa, my Dad had a big stroke at 59 and the only thing he could do was watch tV. He couldn't even read anymore. He loved game shows and liked me to play them with him. WE lived next door so many afternoons I would go over and do that. The doctors didn't think he would live long however, he lived 14 long years. He went from being the nicest guy to quite unpleasant after the stroke and i think it was a good lesson for my kids that you don't abandon family when they become inconvenient. There were times that my Mom or I lost our patience and then we would feel guilty.
    TT: That sounds very difficult and kudos to you for hanging in there with Dad. I do have to say that my Mom is very good-natured and I hope that doesn't change.

My Mom took great care of him which is probably why he lived so long) Only my oldest son remembered how he was before so it was the most sad for him. He was a man that never swore and we were not allowed to swear even as a adult. Well the part of his brain that was damaged made him swear a lot. That was so hard to get used too. I would take care of him so my Mom could go on vacation. We were a great support system for one another. My Mom also watched my boys after school or when sick so I could go to college. I was extremely close to my Dad always so it made it easier when this happened because we had such a strong foundation. My other sibs not so much. When my Dad died my Mom was relieved but it took a terrible toll on her health with all the stress and she was not young either. Long term illnesses are really tough. Also he always knew who we were etc so not as sad as dementia. Rosa, I hope your Mom stays pleasant too.

Another two truckloads of books to the library today. And one truckload of previous, previous-previous, and previous-previous-previous home audio equipment to the re-use facility we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    However, I do feel like I earn good daughter points when I sit and watch "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with Mom. She just LOVES that show, and if I'm there, it makes her happy if we watch it together. So I do, although I find it somewhat painful.
    I feel like this with my dad and Family Feud. He turns it up real loud, yells out answers and expects me to do the same. When the content is slightly racy, I'm mortified. Sometimes I'd rather take the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    and back on track with this topic, I found a Leonard Cohen quote:
    "My mind was always very cluttered, so I took great pains to simplify my environment, because if my environment were half as cluttered as my mind, I wouldn't be able to make it from room to room."
    LOVE this

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Another two truckloads of books to the library today. And one truckload of previous, previous-previous, and previous-previous-previous home audio equipment to the re-use facility we have here.
    a job well done

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I feel like this with my dad and Family Feud. He turns it up real loud, yells out answers and expects me to do the same. When the content is slightly racy, I'm mortified. Sometimes I'd rather take the bullet.
    LOL, yes the volume! I must have a somewhat pained look on my face, because Mom will ask, "that's too loud for you isn't it?" and turn it down a bit.

WE had tons of books at one point but when you have to move the crap yourself across country a few times it makes getting rid of them much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    a job well done
    We had for some years been entertaining the idea of moving to a smaller home here, and we came to the realization last night that one of the things putting us off was the contemplation of just how much of a pain it would be to simply move - it seemed a huge problem.

Reducing the quantity of "stuff" massively over the past few months has made this path now seem much easier - the moving process (once the current wave of stuff-abandoning finishes) should now be simpler, so we can examine the thought of The Right House without as much primal fear!

We downsized to 1400 sq ft and I love it. Much easier and quicker to clean and no steps. We used to invite 30 people for dinner but no more. Now about 6 is the max that we do. WE do have a big barbecue every year because our outdoor area is spacious. In fact we are having it this weekend because the weather is perfect. WE sold about half of our furniture before the move.

Thread Information