Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shampoo to increase hair body?

Shampoo to increase hair body?

Wasn't sure where to post this. My hair has gotten very thin. I've always pulled it up in the back with a barrette, but there's not enough hair to hold it up anymore.
    My DS is getting married next month and I want my hair to be presentable. If some "volumizer" works, I could possible still pull it back. But I was thinking of finally giving up and cutting my hair shorter and just wear it a bit wavy.
    At the store this morning, I saw lots of products that were supposed to make your hair look thicker, but thought I'd ask around first, if there's a product you've used and liked.

I'm not really into looking good (just clean), but since I'll be in some pictures, I wanted to try to look a little different than my usual "casual".
    Thanks.

Honestly, for me, the best volumizer seems to be letting my hair get dirty, and I mean flat and kinda oily, and then in the next wash it has lots of body.

This regime is now my routine for preserving what hair
    I have left. I wash hair about once a week.

Sure, a good blunt cut or good shag cut volumizers hair As well.

I am very happy woth my latest cut which is a bit shorter than usual. The front bits fall into my face when gardening as i feared, but a few bobby pins fix that.

This haircut is (like all of my haircuts of the past 30 years) done by me. But this time I combed all of my hair into a ponytail on the top of my head and made a cut straight across. This created a gentle shag sort of cut which must be at optimal length because the ends of my very straight hair are turning up in a slight wave.

I do think a good haircut that's shorter and layered gives the appearance of more volume. An expensive option is to get highlights--I know it's not very eco-friendly or budget-friendly, but the chemicals actually texturize your hair and make it feel and look thicker.

I personally don't see the value in products that claim to volumize hair, but the old fashioned way of teasing hair a bit, or using a curling iron and then spraying should work well for a mother-of-the-bride hair style.

Maybe treat yourself to a professional styling the day of or the day before?

Or, wear a fascinator.... just for fun...

artsy-vintage-feather-bridal-hair-accessories-winter-wedding-fur-feather-hair-piece21.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Maybe a hairpiece? (Wigs are still calling me.) A fall, to add volume? A "topper?"

YouTube has lots of videos of creative add-on solutions for thinning hair. Having tried various volumizers that generally just weighed my hair down--and because I love the possibilities--that's the route I'd take. I wore wigs in the seventies and loved them, and they've come a long way since then.

My friend uses Rogaine and it has worked wonders for her.

My hair loss rate seems to,have slowed, but back when I was losing tons of it, I looked into permenant weaves.

From that quick and dirty research it seems that my straight hair isnt especially good for holding a weave. Very wavy or curly hair gives the weaves something to grab, all of those angles ya know.

Back in college we used to wash our hair with shampoo and beer. I don't know why, but it really did seem to thicken the hair at least temporarily.
    You just use beer instead of water to mix with the shampoo and make suds.

An example of a topper (there are hundreds, of all kinds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1dExetT14

I read that as "Shampoo to increase body hair" and had to read more!

The idea of going Sasquatch is interesting, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I read that as "Shampoo to increase body hair" and had to read more!

The idea of going Sasquatch is interesting, tho.
    Lol! I wondered if it would be read wrong that way too!

Thread Information