Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: not one pound, sigh

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Muscle is heavier than fat.
    A pound = a pound, no matter what it is. Muscle is denser than fat.

In my case, I had been eating too many fruits thinking I was doing something good by substituting it for my sugar craves. But one can overdo say, grapes, too, and gain weight by doing so.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    the only thing I've found to affect my weight and be healthy and sane is lifting weights (and it is actually weight loss not just muscle weighing more than fat although yes if I lift weights I am also more fit and toned). I think you could lose weight theoretically any number of ways (I don't find most of them very conductive to sanity personally but biologically they work for some ...).
    I would love to hear more about your weight lifting regimen!

One of the things I've found as far as exercise for weight loss, is getting the intensity level up. Look at the difference between world class long distance runners and sprinters. (I would rather look like a sprinter) I've found going all out for 10 to 15 seconds and then recovering (moving at slow pace) for 40 seconds to a minute works very well. I would do this eight to twelve times. This seem to be better exercise than if I jogged for two hours and it only takes around fifteen minutes. The other thing is, do standing up exercise. This goes for cycling and elliptical's. Any time you are sitting down you are loosing out on the benefit. As far as health goes, they say sitting down is the new smoking.

I would love to hear more about your weight lifting regimen!
    It is just weight lifting as opposed to not weight lifting, mostly because I hadn't done it much before. So using the weight machines, 2 days occasionally 3 days a week, alternate legs and arms and lost 10-12 pounds without anything else. I don't understand it either, but if anything convinced my diets were something that I would be unlikely to ever bother with again (however if I gain a *lot* of weight someday - only then would I reconsider), at least for me, it's losing weight that easily just with doing exercise enough to maintain some muscle and looking pretty toned just from that. As for my diet it's mostly the same as ever, which is maybe 75-85% healthy and the rest whatever .
    Trees don't grow on money

I experienced that cutting off my sugar consumption can't eventually help losing weight. It has to do something with exercise regularly instead.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Hey Zoe, didn't you quit smoking fairly recently?
    The five years or so after I quit I had to work out every single day and keep my calories super low or I'd put on weight instantly.
    Lucky I don't have a big appetite. Eventually I got more or less back to normal.
    Quitting was a huge thing for me. I feel like smoking permanently changed my metabolism.
    Anyhow, I sure felt healthier after quitting.
    And, I've NEVER hit 20k steps! Congrats!

It has been a year, and i didnt smoke that long, however that is interesting. I think that could be a factor, and my age most certainly is as well. It seems like the pre period bloat and weight gain is still happening but the period is every 3 months sometimes.

I did have some sugar this week, and the next morning i was starving when i woke up. I can see that effect on me from sugar.

Yes, the steps are a big deal! I got 20K steps one other day, and get 10-13 a typical work day. I even ran a bit with the girls running team yesterday. It isnt the same to walk at work compared to getting a run in

Sounds like you are super healthy - much more valuable than being thin!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Sounds like you are super healthy - much more valuable than being thin!
    Oh how sensible is that! I still want to have a waist again, at 51 I think I should appreciate my health more, I am very fortunate.

Thread Information