Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earth day!

Earth day!

I am in a mental place where this feels more solemn than celebratory this year. So if you are doing something to celebrate, or if you are making an environmentally positive change, or if you want ideas for positive change, please post!

dh and I will be planting trees.

Planting trees is truly solid.

I am continuing with raising 2 batches of sprouts at a time. I seem to have best results with fenugreek, pea (I get a pound bag of dry green peas at the grocery store), and daikon radish. But I vary that with kamut, clover, alfalfa, mung beans, hulled rye, & broccoli... Most of my sprouts are consumed in salads or sandwiches. If I were to do a teach-in module on sprouting, I would point out: significantly less packaging, living-fresh salad greens with significantly less diesel/reefer transportation, raising food at home cuts down on trips to a grocer. The sprouting seeds can be obtained from certified organic sources. Since the consumer is in charge of growing the sprouts, and they are ready in only a few days, there should be no trace of herbicide, pesticide, or fertilizer chemicals in the product.

Yppej
    This past year I've given up plastic water bottles and started adding organic products into my diet. I also have fuzzy plans of each vacation going forward visiting someplace closer to home, but one relative in Florida may throw that off. I definitely plan to stay east of the Mississippi though.

You know, I have nothing really against planting trees IF they are correctly sited and then cared for judiciously.

DH just planted part of his orchard at the bottom of our hill and he claims these trees will not grow tall enough to block our view. In fact, they may enhance the view by providing a vista of tree tops that we look over to see the distant church spires and hills. We shall see. I told him that if they geow too tall, we will be topping them.

But—and you all knew there was a “but” coming— most people do not choose correct trees for the site, do not consider the impact of them on nearby plants and structures, and do not take care of them. I could list a bunch of trees that are currently giving me fits. Trees, The Enemy.

I also have fuzzy plans of each vacation going forward visiting someplace closer to home, but one relative in Florida may throw that off. I definitely plan to stay east of the Mississippi though.
    does distance matter so much as means of transportation? Flying anywhere versus say Amtrak or Greyhound bus or something across the country ...

(truthfully I haven't taken a vacation out of California in some 6 plus years, but that's as much I seldom have very many vacation days and use them as days off here and there than that is a conscious choice)
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    My mode will be car going forward. I do not enjoy flying, and would not like the close quarters of a bus for the same reason. I took Amtrak once and was just sitting on the tracks for literally hours as we waited for freight trains to go by since they had priority over passenger trains. If the US had better rail service I would use it for some trips. It also doesn't go to many places, and car rental is not cheap once you get to the nearest terminal and have many miles to go.

My trees came from the soil and water conservation district. They are native and selected for the locations we wish to tree.

Solar panels were installed on our roof this winter and now are making more electricity than we are using. Even in hot PHX where we use AC 9 months of the year.

5 trees planted since this fall on our previously vacant lot. Carefully researched and chosen and cared for by my almost-OCD husband. Iris lilies would be proud.

For Earth Day, I could go and volunteer at any number of events in my area, but to be honest, I'll be doing the greatest service to the community by just cleaning up my own yard and gardens today. They really need it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I believe my tax return is in, and I want to see if there is room in the nature based retreat I want to go on in July. The rest of it, I do a lot of already. I have a reusable grocery bag almost 30 years old! I just keep washing it, replaced the handles, etc. I feel wasteful however preparing to move and all the stuff that goes into the trash or goodwill.

Thread Information