Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earth day!

I'll be spending my time in my own gardens. Cleaning up all the beds (only got 1/4 done yesterday), spreading my beautiful homemade compost over those beds in preparation for June 1 planting and starting my veggie seeds in the greenhouse. I finished my transplanting yesterday.

I've long been a low consumer of plastic and an avid recycler of what I do consume. Alas, some products leave us no choice such as fruit and veggies in clamshells that are no recyclable. It breaks my heart to start throwing these in the garbage.

Has anyone used biodegradable marking tape? This plastic stuff is upsetting me. The biodegradable stuff says it completely breaks down in 6-24 months, and 6 months is too fast. I guess I could make a point to walk around and replace it every few months.....

What are you marking Chicken Lady? Does it have to be tape?

We are clearing out non native invasive and poison ivy and replanting with native understory trees. We are also marking native trees we find in the process. Dh brush hogs everywhere else to keep things under control, so trees must be gaily festooned with streamers to avoid certain death.

no metal or glass, because he doesn’t want to die because he messed up.

edited to add - we are talking hundreds of trees.

Hung laundry on the line, planted spring green seeds, didn’t drive and ate vegetarian. Nothing super special but my carbon footprint was probably a lot smaller than Al Gore's Earth Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

edited to add - we are talking hundreds of trees.
    Oh that makes sense. I was thinking yarn but I think it would be too thin to really show off the marked trees. It would be waaaayyyy too much to yarn bomb the entire thing

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/yarn-bombing-graffiti

I kind of started this last year. I will be going car lite. I am blessed to be within 2 miles of my Job, church, 4 stores, the bank and a library. Pending weather and the need to haul something big, I will take my bike instead. Last year I biked to work up until December 20th, when I took time off for the holidays. In January we had snowmageddon, so I was slow starting up again. Unfortunately the alternative is my truck that gets 12 mpg.

Baldilocks,

I use my bike for various errands, and as my RV. (There are great daytrips I can take on my bike from my doorstep.) In the Northern Highland of Wisconsin the bicycle season is limited.

Stay visible, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I believe my tax return is in, and I want to see if there is room in the nature based retreat I want to go on in July. The rest of it, I do a lot of already. I have a reusable grocery bag almost 30 years old! I just keep washing it, replaced the handles, etc. I feel wasteful however preparing to move and all the stuff that goes into the trash or goodwill.
    Hey, congratulations! This is a pretty big deal for you isn't it? I seem to remember a few years where you really struggled with filing your taxes. That says a lot about how you are handling all the job stress and to be motivated to file. I just wanted to acknowledge that!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We weren't very ecological on Earth Day. We actually decided to go for a drive down into Arkansas. Northwest of Harrison it has a very "highlands" feel to it. Deep ravines, lots of spring-fed water creeks, long range views of Boston mountains, the peak of dogwood season, lush green grasses. We ate out and put 100 miles on the truck.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information