Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: would you live like it was the year 1800

Spartana just think how nice it would have been to be a black woman. Those were the good old days what a line of crap!

Exclamation

Wow, I hope we didn't run off the original poster!!!

Okay! Now that we have answered that question. Alot of negativity. I find that often. The second part of that question is, Would you live like it was 1800 with the technology of today? I live what is considered by most "primative". I only have grid electric service during the winter through a prepaid service. I go to the library when transportation is available.I recycle water,"gray" water to water my garden and yard,flush my toilet. I have lights,12 volt,my radio is capable of running non stop 24hr-365 free now. I have tv also 12 volt. I grow a few items. Area not condusive to growing ground hard ws a horse pasture.When was working not enough time on unemployment not enough money. The hardest part is most things it takes two,like bleeding the brakes on the vehicle to repair them.I am 61. I am in almost good shape. Have some medical most my family would be 6 under before my age. I have worked as a machinist for over 30 years and it is not sitting at a desk. Whole bunch of walking and lifting. I am planning to retire this year so I can work in the garden as much as I can increase my crop.City gives away mulch which I am usually at work. Had been without a vehicle for 5 years. Now have a van and a bus. Bus is going to be my home in a couple years. When I get done at the home i am in now remodel and garden. I plan to tavel this country and see what I have not. I also plan to create gardens with veggies and flowers that will grow and regrow each spring. I have a garden of volunteer from seeds left from previous gardens. a Setis version of Johnny Appleseed. So who wants to live Like it was the year 1800 today.

Actually, my idea of the best time & place to live is exactly where I am, 800 years ago. The pacific Northwest tribes lived very well. They worked an average of 10 hours a week each, and the rest of the time was spent making culture & community life richer - carving, weaving, singing, storytelling, making babies, eating really well, celebrating various events. Their diet was incredible; salmon, tons of wild foods, such as thimble berries, salmon berries, lots of mushrooms, fiddlehead ferns, camas roots in some areas (notably Bae's home place of Orcas Island, where the annual camas harvest was a gathering of tribes and great celebrations, cross-tribe marriages, etc.), and other forage & game. Gender roles and governance were balanced, and the community life was complex. Sounds like heaven to me!

Now there you go. I knew there was someone out there who knew what I was talking about. Life during the caveman days was hard, but they did what they knew. Today is hard,but,with the technology we have today. You take the best of back then and add the good of today.Walla Paridise.

Mrs-M
    This is a fun thread! As for the 'second part' you mention, Setis, absolutely, I most definitely (positively) would live in the 1800's with but a few of our modern day technologies made available to us, and what an exciting and healthy life it would be!

Redfox truly touches on a good number of things I had in mind as to the benefits of living during such an era. (Just pondering what sort of additional modern day conveniences/technologies I'd like to see made available to me during this time).
    • Electricity.
    • Washing machine.
    • Cook stove.
    • Refrigerator.
    • Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by setis View Post
    Okay! Now that we have answered that question. Alot of negativity. I find that often. The second part of that question is, Would you live like it was 1800 with the technology of today? I live what is considered by most "primative". I only have grid electric service during the winter through a prepaid service. I go to the library when transportation is available.I recycle water,"gray" water to water my garden and yard,flush my toilet. I have lights,12 volt,my radio is capable of running non stop 24hr-365 free now. I have tv also 12 volt. I grow a few items. Area not condusive to growing ground hard ws a horse pasture.When was working not enough time on unemployment not enough money. The hardest part is most things it takes two,like bleeding the brakes on the vehicle to repair them.I am 61. I am in almost good shape. Have some medical most my family would be 6 under before my age. I have worked as a machinist for over 30 years and it is not sitting at a desk. Whole bunch of walking and lifting. I am planning to retire this year so I can work in the garden as much as I can increase my crop.City gives away mulch which I am usually at work. Had been without a vehicle for 5 years. Now have a van and a bus. Bus is going to be my home in a couple years. When I get done at the home i am in now remodel and garden. I plan to tavel this country and see what I have not. I also plan to create gardens with veggies and flowers that will grow and regrow each spring. I have a garden of volunteer from seeds left from previous gardens. a Setis version of Johnny Appleseed. So who wants to live Like it was the year 1800 today.
    Well my friends think I do :-)! I live a very spartan lifestyle with no TV, no internet access (use the free library), ride my bike everywhere, nothing fancy or unneeded. BUT, I don't like things that are a hassle - like growing my own food or doing anything that requires alot of fuss. Small apt in the city would be my thing - walking distance to all resources, farmers markets,library, medical, andshops, entertainment, anything that I need. Easy to clean, low utilities and very low environmental footprint. Hop on the bike, bus, train or compact car to get out into the country and beyond. Living off the grid and back to the land is VERY unappealing to me - too much work for me :-) ! Glad we live in an era that allows me to live the way I want and be able to take advantage of all the technology and resources available without having to actually do all that work myself! And I wasn't trying to be negative - just realistic about how life was in the 1800s - tough and deadly.

Well I have a self designed solar system. Purchased products.191 watts. I have radio that runs 24-7 and other than initial costs.Now FREE; lights,tv,refrigeration all 12 volt.Working on washing machine.Solar heat and solar water heater.Saving for my composting toilet needs no water and can use waste on flower garden. Not brave enough to use on compost for garden even though that is what happens to the sludge that is proessed at your local sewer treatment plants.By the time get my bus done I will be so self sufficient it may be made against the law. Then with permission I just might visit those in the USA bus won't float.

setis - your set up sounds great! I spent years living aboard small ships while in the Coast Guard and we had everything completely recycled. Made our own water, power, etc.. No electric or faucetts out there on the high seas! Helped make me more self sufficant even though I choose to live on the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    As Carl Sagan said, "In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
    ^Only the best quote ever!

The idea of living in the 1800s is nice but the realitly is a little grim... and short.
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html <- Life Expectancy by Age, 1850–2004

Thread Information