Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: would you live like it was the year 1800

thunderseed
    Yep, I would. For real! But I love camping and wilderness adventures.
    And I know I'm the only person in here who said yes lol. Funny comments in this thread. Everyone here seems to be allergic to the outdoors, but living off the land is as minimal and as simple as you can get! It's going back to simple basics. No technology, just being in nature.

They had a series on this on TV where people would live as if it was a certain time period. I think it was the early to mid 1800s. Life was so very hard then. Every single thing had to be made by hand. I don't think there was leisure time. The few episodes I watched the people didn't seem too happy about their current situation. One woman was totally exhausted because of the level of work she had to do. This is not a fact, but I think some people died early from years of overwork and exhaustion (sp?).

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    They had a series on this on TV where people would live as if it was a certain time period. I think it was the early to mid 1800s. Life was so very hard then. Every single thing had to be made by hand. I don't think there was leisure time. The few episodes I watched the people didn't seem too happy about their current situation. One woman was totally exhausted because of the level of work she had to do. This is not a fact, but I think some people died early from years of overwork and exhaustion (sp?).
    One of those series was filmed near where I live and one of the people probably would have died if it was actually that time period. They had to pull him out and put him the hospital, I think. I'm sure people died of overwork, as just like now some people are just physically hardier than others. And some situations are worse than others.

I'll take our optional back to the land any day.

thunderseed
    It isn't as hard as you would imagine.... And I'm not talking about civilization in the 1800's when they actually still had houses and certain luxuries, I'm referring more to what it would have been like for tribal people who actually lived off the land and hunted instead of growing agriculture. If you know how to survive in the wilderness it is very easy and is the simplest and most gratifying way you could ever live. It really makes you appreciate every little thing, every meal, every experience and every day, the gratitude learned out there is more than you'd ever feel in a modern world of instant gratification where everything is handed to you. When you are out there you realize life is fragile, you don't have the stresses, the responsibilities of hectic, modern life, you are forced instead to live in the moment and be meditative, focusing only on your natural surroundings, finding food, making shelter, in other words the way of life is pure bliss. You may think all it entails is overworking and exhaustion, and surely most people are rather shocked to find out that the reality is that a large part of your time would be spent doing absolutely nothing. See, in this world we are constantly doing things, but out there you may just end up trapped in a wilderness shelter for days on end just waiting for a storm to pass. This is one thing many people cannot handle because they are afraid to be alone with themselves, so used to distractions in modern society. After you've set up a shelter and caught your food, there is often nothing else to do but be still in nature. It is very peaceful and a great time to get to know yourself. Even hunting and fishing itself in reality often requires a long time of just sitting there, waiting. I am physically fit so exploring long distances does not exhaust me, and even exploring in itself is quite meditative. You live every moment in the moment out there... It's a lot more simple and peaceful than modern life for sure. The fact is out there, you can die from a simple infection if you don't know how to care for it properly so you really have to be careful, and it's not like being careful and more focused on survival is a bad thing.

And the fact is that people are dying early from overworking, exhaustion and stress now. It happens all the time, modern life is chaotic, but the thing is, a lot of people are completely sedentry and inactive, yet they are still stressed out all the time with their first world problems. I mean just think about it, people don't say "I'm going camping because I want to overwork myself"... they say, "I want to go camping because I want to relax, escape the hardships of my work life, have fun and go on a vacation for a bit."

I think I'd be okay with living in the Pacific Northwest as an indigenous person in the year 1000, but 1800? No way!

I do enjoy when the power goes out for a few hours I take out the candles...lol sorry was tempted to write that.

During Hurricane Sandy we "roughed it" for four days with candles. I bathed by standing in the shower with a bucket of hot water and rinsing soap off with cupfuls of the water. Our evening entertainment was an AM radio station from Ontario---they played old music from the 30s and 40s, then a comedy show (one was Baby Snooks), then a longer serious one. On Halloween it was War of the Worlds. Except for losing most of our frozen food, I actually enjoyed those 4 days. Any longer would not have been fun.

Nice thread. My answer is also "no" to going back, but am continually striving for a simplier lifestyle today and into my future.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’d rather live in 2020 and be an independent woman

1800? Simple pleasures, virgin nature, inner and outer harmony – sounds romantic.
    However, I wouldn’t want to live in 1800 and be a woman.
    I wouldn’t want to be a woman with limited freedom or its complete absence, a young but exhausted mother to 6 children, a woman who lost her husband in the war with Great Britain, a woman who was trapped in poverty with the hope that some farmer would marry me and become a father for my children. I wouldn’t want to be a cleaning woman, a versatile worker, a laundress, who in return receives neither love, nor tenderness, nor care, nor kind words.
    I know that our time has many shortcomings, but being an integrated, independent personality with the ability to build my life, to love and be loved is more important for me.
    So, being a woman and living in 1800? No thanks. I’d rather live and be a woman in 2020.

I'm in full agreement, Gloriana.

Thread Information