Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

I have no problem with "grease," as long as it doesn't involve industrial seed oils, but replacing the wheat component is a little more difficult. Fat Head pizza is a pretty good substitute, and I've managed to navigate Indian restaurants without much trouble. Today I had something similar to this: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...hickpea_curry/
    Not at all bland.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 6-22-18 at 9:53am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Let me give you examples of the foods I find flavorful.

-[snip]
    -White bread
    -Biscuits
    Uh, dude -- white bread?

More seriously, I think what you often find attractive is what goes on these other foods. Pasta ain't much without some sauce or dressing. Pretty much ditto for pizza dough (at least for me, the action is in the toppings), pancakes,... Is there some way you could isolate what you really find compelling (meat flavor, saltines [or lack of it], umami?) and work on emulating those without the inflammatory attributes?
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Uh, dude -- white bread?

More seriously, I think what you often find attractive is what goes on these other foods. Pasta ain't much without some sauce or dressing. Pretty much ditto for pizza dough (at least for me, the action is in the toppings), pancakes,... Is there some way you could isolate what you really find compelling (meat flavor, saltines [or lack of it], umami?) and work on emulating those without the inflammatory attributes?
    Interesting thoughts.

But I like all kinds of white breads -- baguette, buns, Texas Toast, Italian bread, bagels, etc. I like them with butter or preserves or both. I like to dip some in marinara. I like to dredge some in scrambled, raw egg then fry in bacon grease and smother in honey and maple syrup.

I like pastas with the sauce -- red sauce especially -- and sausage.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Nothing wrong with pasta! The whole wheat and gluten free kinds taste a lot better than they used to, and tomato sauce is full of antioxidants.

Have you tried cauliflower substitutes? (Cauliflower noddles, pizza, flour, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Nothing wrong with pasta! The whole wheat and gluten free kinds taste a lot better than they used to, and tomato sauce is full of antioxidants.
    Part of this diet is avoiding wheat/gluten. GF pastas... yeah, I tried them. They are not good, no matter how much I try to convince myself to like them, I cannot.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Have you tried cauliflower substitutes? (Cauliflower noddles, pizza, flour, etc.)
    No, but isn't it highly processed?

Your OP said no processed grains. These are not grains but vegetables, albeit processed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Your OP said no processed grains. These are not grains but vegetables, albeit processed ones.
    I try to keep the processing down to what I can easily do with my kitchen knife.

https://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

you can can bake or steam the cauliflower first and then mash it up with a fork and drain it in a non - fuzzy dish towel instead of using a food processor and cheese cloth. If baking - dice with your kitchen knife. If steaming, leave pieces a bit larger.