Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

  1. #71
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    So hobbies take work. I enjoy hobbies. This art project is great fun, and engaging.

    But food is easy mouth-pleasure. No real work.
    So maybe the answer is to make cooking your hobby. It certainly can take as much time (and money and space and...) as you give it. For years (decades) I enjoyed hunting down recipes and evaluating flavor combinations, learning new techniques and perfecting old ones, and eating the results (well, most of the time, anyway). Perhaps the limitations of what you can eat can be the impetus. Since changing my way of eating, I've been haunting keto-diet Web sites and have found some really good recipes on some of them. Mind you, I'm still working myself on getting back to the status cooking had for me. But if I get really tired of eggs for breakfast and salads for lunch, that's one way to get out of that rut.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0
    (i buy prewashed salad greens and take my life in my hands by not washing them again...)
    I figure I'm building up my resistance by doing that... Besides, it's unlikely a swish or two around my sink is going to get rid of whatever their prewashing didn't catch.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  2. #72
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    9,182
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    So maybe the answer is to make cooking your hobby.
    I did this a few times for a few months at a time. And I would make copious amounts of unhealthy food and take it to pound-town! No self-control. haha
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    173
    I'm a lazy cook so I'd like to share one of my healthy go to recipes - chili. There are many ways to add variety. First, I start with a basic package of McCormick chili spices. It calls for 1 lb of ground meat, a can of tomatoes and a can of beans.

    I use a different meat each time I make it. I've used ground beef, bison, turkey, or lamb. I've also used pulled pork or smoked sausage.

    In addition to the tomatoes and beans, I also add frozen chopped kale, corn and a can of pumpkin. The pumpkin thickens the chili and is a good source of vitamins and fiber. Plus it has almost no calories.

    You can also add onions and green, yellow or red peppers.

    So this is an easy, healthy and low calorie meal that you can make a little differently each time to add variety.

    What I love is that you can dump all the ingredients in one pot and it cooks up in about ten minutes. And there are plenty of leftovers.

  4. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    173
    Another idea - Have your chili on a large bed of lettuce.

    I'm a big fan of bagged salads. I've mentioned I'm a lazy cook and have lost patience with chopping up my own veggies. I like to buy salad kits where there is a variety of veggies in the bag and blend them with dark greens (also from a bag).

    I got bored with my olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressings, so now I use 1 part creamy ranch/1 part olive oil/1 part apple cider vinegar. I still get the flavor of the creamy ranch along with the benefits of the other two ingredients.

  5. #75
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I'm a lazy cook so I'd like to share one of my healthy go to recipes - chili. There are many ways to add variety. First, I start with a basic package of McCormick chili spices. It calls for 1 lb of ground meat, a can of tomatoes and a can of beans.

    I use a different meat each time I make it. I've used ground beef, bison, turkey, or lamb. I've also used pulled pork or smoked sausage.

    In addition to the tomatoes and beans, I also add frozen chopped kale, corn and a can of pumpkin. The pumpkin thickens the chili and is a good source of vitamins and fiber. Plus it has almost no calories.

    You can also add onions and green, yellow or red peppers.

    So this is an easy, healthy and low calorie meal that you can make a little differently each time to add variety.

    What I love is that you can dump all the ingredients in one pot and it cooks up in about ten minutes. And there are plenty of leftovers.
    I like this idea, and it can be modified in many ways! I like the idea of adding pumpkin and other vegetables. McCormick's spices are a good "cheat" but sometimes I find it's not too hard to use your own spices.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  6. #76
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,672
    You can ditch the bread and make salads out of traditional sandwich or taco fillings--tuna and egg salad are obvious, but Reuben and other deli standards are also good. Concoct mustard/horseradish or bacon/mayo/ketchup dressings for them.

  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You can ditch the bread and make salads out of traditional sandwich or taco fillings--tuna and egg salad are obvious, but Reuben and other deli standards are also good. Concoct mustard/horseradish or bacon/mayo/ketchup dressings for them.
    So right. Almost anything you can put between two slices of bread can go on a salad.

    I have a friend who makes lettuce wraps. I tried but 1) I could never get the lettuce leaf to wrap neatly and 2) it's slimy to hold (ok, maybe not slimy, but slippery). I'd rather just put my sandwich filling on a bed of lettuce.

  8. #78
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,672
    I've had some luck with Asian-inspired chicken-filled lettuce wraps, but in the end, I just served the little meat-wads over lettuce for the same reason.

  9. #79
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,207
    I am not a picky eater, but once years ago I bought a bag of greens, and it all tasted like the plastic wrap. I havent been able to bring myself to buy bagged greens since then.

    I suppose it helps that I have large containers of greens show up on my kitchen counter. Once in a while they are even washed!

    We just finished a great spinach year.

  10. #80
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,207
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've had some luck with Asian-inspired chicken-filled lettuce wraps, but in the end, I just served the little meat-wads over lettuce for the same reason.
    this is so true. I once teied to make lettuce wraps, too fussy, just endd up with the magled wraps in a salad and it was great!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •