Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

I appreciate all the suggestions. Though what I do is just try to think of food as fuel, not as fun. Yesterday I ate a salad, for cryin' out loud. It was so gross.

The big question I am trying to answer is: What can fill the fun void, now that I don't get any real enjoyment from food?

Is not enjoying your food a choice, or a side effect? As in, are you ok with finding healthy food you enjoy, you just haven’t, or would you prefer to keep it utilitarian to avoid temptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Is not enjoying your food a choice, or a side effect? As in, are you ok with finding healthy food you enjoy, you just haven’t, or would you prefer to keep it utilitarian to avoid temptation?
    Healthy food I enjoy? I think I tapped that category out in the first week. Kefir/fruit/nuts, apple & PB, Eggs & breakfast potatoes. That is essentially the end of the story.

I dislike the taste of literally all veggies. Though some are more tolerable than others.

It just so happens that the best-tasting foods (to me) are all unhealthy and eaten in gigantic proportions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The big question I am trying to answer is: What can fill the fun void, now that I don't get any real enjoyment from food?
    My diabetes diagnosis last year knocked the pins out from under a couple of long-time personal interests (eating and cooking). Sure, I still eat, and I still cook. I'll still try new foods and recipes -- if I can. But the palette of potential ingredients has thinned (sic) considerably so I find myself repeatedly making essentially the same meals because they're easy and quick and it's what I can eat. The "food as fuel" thing isn't too far off. I think I'm still grieving the loss of those activities a little. It's come back from what it was before, but it took a surprisingly long time.

As for what to do, that harkens back to previous posts of yours: you need a hobby. Or more of what already are your hobbies. If you're so into whatever else you're doing that you have to stop and think about cooking/eating, you're probably in the right place.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I love this recipe, and depending on the sauce you use it tastes like BBQ chicken wings: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251...iflower-bites/

Eating good food is one of the grand earthly pleasures. I suggest delving into cooking a bit farther than you have. Gluten free is not a death sentence; it just makes food prep a little more complicated. Cauliflower makes an excellent substitute for a lot of other foods, like rice and noodles. Cauli-fried rice and cauliflower "mac" and cheese are two recipes that come to mind. (Speaking of rice and noodles--depending on your regime, rice noodles and bean threads may be allowed.) But if you prefer giving up tasty food in your quest for health--which, after all, has long been the mark of a true ascetic--I wish you good luck and hope you find an acceptable alternative.

You may find that after eating clean for awhile, the other foods won't taste good anymore. It may take awhile. I found that is true for me. I used to love cream filled, chocolate frosted donuts. Now the thought of eating one makes me gag. Pizza used to be one of my favorites but I'm no longer interested. It tastes like greasy, salted cardboard now.

Eating bland food probably does work as a weight loss strategy (for instance for a demo some have done an all potato diet with plain potatoes etc. - not that I would endorse that as a balanced menu, but it's been done, the sheer blandness and you eat less). So blandness for weight loss, I guess if one wants to try that strategy, but if blandness is not even working for weight loss over a significant period of time for one then it might not be a strategy that works for one.

I'm not sure if the issue here is just that dieting is annoying period, it's annoying to have to entirely avoid whole types of food. Yea it mostly is, I wouldn't recommend it unless one had health conditions that require it, if not 80-20 or 90-10 is probably a good compromise, but if one does have such health conditions then one has to adapt I suppose.

Healthy food can be tasty but it may just be that no foods will work in the perimeter set here which is just too limiting. Like if the idea was just "eat more vegetables" then I'd just say look into food traditions that do so. Mediterranean diet is probably the easiest - lots of veggies (see something like this blog for ideas: https://www.olivetomato.com/), Asian and Indian can incorporate a lot of veggies, it's just that Indian is complex and one is never going to equal the taste of the restaurants. Salad is a high mileage food for me, I could eat it daily and did at work. But the annoying part is I'm lazy and they are a pain to make, the washing the lettuce etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Yes, as a lazy person i agree about the preparation. Maybe that's why intermittent fasting has so much appeal for me--one meal a day makes it all so much easier. Also, it allows for more food variety than, say, strict keto. My n=1 experiment continues. (i buy prewashed salad greens and take my life in my hands by not washing them again...)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

As for what to do, that harkens back to previous posts of yours: you need a hobby. Or more of what already are your hobbies. If you're so into whatever else you're doing that you have to stop and think about cooking/eating, you're probably in the right place.
    So hobbies take work. I enjoy hobbies. This art project is great fun, and engaging.

But food is easy mouth-pleasure. No real work.

Thread Information