Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Because I have some health issues of the chronic variety (not getting into any details) I have been on an anti-inflammatory diet.

No gluten. No deep fried food. No refined grains. I use only olive oil and coconut oil. I don't eat desserts or candy anyway. I eat fresh fruits and veggies, though I steam, roast, or saute the veggies. I also eat beans and lentils.

All my foods are whole, unprocessed, and rather fresh. Though I do eat organic, local saurkraut and kefir (no other dairy products though).

And for the hell of it I also stopped adding salt to foods.I have not shaken the shaker since March.

So here I am 23 days into this...

I feel a little better. And I am somewhat accustomed to eating these flavorless foods.

Anyone else on this diet?

No but sometimes I eat specifically anti-inflammatory food like turmeric, fish, etc..

(Mostly to try to escape join pain when I have it. I don't know why but it's all joints, it's only occasional, long standing, not getting worse - I suspect it can be aggravated by dietary things mostly eating lots of wheat and nightshades, but I've never known with any real certainty). But it's not like turmeric etc. does any harm, it's very healthy and anti-inflammatory.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Oil is pressed, sauerkraut and kefir fermented. So technically not all your foods are unprocessed. You could add fresh herbs to flavor things a little. It could be worse. The most bland thing I have ever tried is matzo bread. If you are not eating salt make sure you are still getting iodine.

Not all processed foods are bad for you:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.e7fe6a5d7768

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Oil is pressed, sauerkraut and kefir fermented. So technically not all your foods are unprocessed.
    There is one in every crowd.

I guess my fresh mango is processed too because I peel and slice it.

If you are not eating salt make sure you are still getting iodine.
    What???

Yppej
    Iodine deficiencies lead to goiter, a growth on your neck. My grandmother had one during WW2. To prevent this iodine was added to salt in the US.

Iodine deficiencies lead to goiter, a growth on your neck. My grandmother had one during WW2. To prevent this iodine was added to salt in the US.
    This is just the rationalization I need to eat lots of salt, or as I call it -- magic flavor dust!

I think if you cook in cast iron, you avoid the iron deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I feel a little better. And I am somewhat accustomed to eating these flavorless foods.
    Haha, I laughed at this--my DH accuses me of eating flavorless food--my diet is naturally pretty unprocessed without a lot of added stuff...he's huge into a ton of salt, which he proclaims is the "right" way to eat, thanks to the Food Network chefs who criticize contestants who don't "season" enough. But I looked at a list of anti-inflammatory foods, and that's pretty much what I eat and love.

An anti-inflammatory diet, or any healthy diet, shouldn't have to be flavorless. First of all, if you've cut out the unprocessed foods (like packaged, canned and convenience foods), IMHO you're allowed to put some salt on your unprocessed food, because it's the processed stuff that overloads us. As Yppej said, you need SOME salt.

I think you'll learn to appreciate things like whole-grain vs white. I also think that adding spices, herbs and lemon help a lot with flavor.

Also, I think it's important for you to make sure you have enough "good" fats--we also need fat in our diet, but it's been demonized for 20 years. If you don't get enough good fat, you're going to crave something unhealthy, and you'll probably be miserable. One time DH went on an awful Optifast liquid diet. And he found himself craving hot dogs--so rather than go off his diet, he chewed the hot dog and then spit it out. It was gross--but speaks to how badly our body will tell us "I want fat!"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If you eat a whole-foods diet, you'll get a lot less salt than you would with manufactured foods. (I think the target is 5000g a day, IIRC.) A minority of the population is salt-sensitive--maybe 25%. I don't use common table salt with additives, but I take Iodorx tablets or swab some iodine on my skin occasionally.

Yes--we need fat. And saturated fat is one of the healthiest kinds--if you look at its chemical makeup, you'll see that it's very stable. And humans have thrived on it forever. It's the highly processed industrial seed oils, along with transfats, that are problematic.

I always said they probably serve unseasoned food in hell...

There are all kinds of books that promote anti-inflammatory regimes, from vegan to carnivore. Whole 30 and Wahl's Protocol are two. You shouldn't resign yourself to flavorless food. Bleah.

Thread Information