Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

  1. #21
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,527
    I did a quick google on the salt issue. The most interesting thing I ran across is that most of our salt intake comes from processed food, not table salt. I checked my mustard and ketchup and it's there. Plus in canned beans, tomato sauces, and soups. It's good evidence to do our own food preparation. And indeed may not have iodine. My choice is to depend on other dietary sources for iodine as I'd like to keep my salt intake low, but it's one of those things that is not perfectly obvious.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,166
    I got this seasoning called 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's. It has many herbs and spices blended into it. While it does not make my flavorless food taste good, it does make it more palatable. It also makes the food smell good, which is pleasant.

    21 Seasoning Salute has just a tiny bit of cayenne pepper in it, but it does not come off hot or spicy.

    I put this stuff on all kinds of things -- trout I caught at the lake, squash I sauteed, breakfast potatoes, hard boiled eggs -- seemingly anything "savory."

    I suggest giving 21 Seasoning Salute a try!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  3. #23
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,166
    So I did the whole month of April on this flavorless/Anti-Inflammatory diet.

    For this month I made one very minor change. I am allowing myself one serving of iodized table salt each day. Today is only my second day, so who knows if this little bit of salt will send me into some wild binges or not. Obviously I hope not.

    But I will say this: When I had some of that magical dust sprinkled on my raw radishes and avocado yesterday I was like: "Foodgasm!"
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  4. #24
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,049
    Fortunately, the nutrition gurus I admire are bullish on salt and flavor. I've seen a lot of autoimmune plans, and none of them have proscribed sodium.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,319
    For iodine, you can also purchase powdered seaweed to sprinkle on your food. It has a somewhat salty, "weedy" taste. The one I use and can't recall the name of is made from seaweed on the Maine coast.

  6. #26
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,049
    I just ran across Mikhaila Peterson's blog. She credits a carnivorous diet (meat and water) for reversing her many, many health conditions (unfortunately not including several joint replacements...) There seems to be no one treatment for whatever ails you, and finding a cure seems to require diligent trial and error.

  7. #27
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There seems to be no one treatment for whatever ails you, and finding a cure seems to require diligent trial and error.
    True words. In a country that reveres 100-calorie packs of crackers and Meatless Mondays*, I've lost more than 50 pounds eating chicken skin, sour cream, and eggs fried with butter. I haven't felt this good in decades. It (essentially a ketogenic diet) is not an eating plan for everyone. But if I had listened to the conventional wisdom, I'd be on diabetic meds between my blood glucose swings and probably heavier than I am now. We all have to tailor for what works for our bodies. This is a way to eat that I can stick with and has positive results. For me.

    Good luck, UL! Once you've grown accustomed to the taste of "naked" food, adding even a little salt is a revelation.

    * I'm aware there are several reasons to promote non-meat meals. But IMHO nutritionally, avoiding meat is not necessary for most people. So Meatless Anyday or Meatless Everyday can be based on other considerations.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

  8. #28
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,166
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Fortunately, the nutrition gurus I admire are bullish on salt and flavor. I've seen a lot of autoimmune plans, and none of them have proscribed sodium.
    I am worried about my high blood pressure.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  9. #29
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    8,166
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    True words. In a country that reveres 100-calorie packs of crackers and Meatless Mondays*, I've lost more than 50 pounds eating chicken skin, sour cream, and eggs fried with butter. I haven't felt this good in decades. It (essentially a ketogenic diet) is not an eating plan for everyone. But if I had listened to the conventional wisdom, I'd be on diabetic meds between my blood glucose swings and probably heavier than I am now. We all have to tailor for what works for our bodies. This is a way to eat that I can stick with and has positive results. For me.

    Good luck, UL! Once you've grown accustomed to the taste of "naked" food, adding even a little salt is a revelation.

    * I'm aware there are several reasons to promote non-meat meals. But IMHO nutritionally, avoiding meat is not necessary for most people. So Meatless Anyday or Meatless Everyday can be based on other considerations.
    I eat fish and poultry daily. But I don't like beef's flavor. I avoid pigs and goats -- even though they taste amazing -- because they seem too pet-like to me.

    Today I had trout for lunch. Tomorrow I will likely have salmon.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  10. #30
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am worried about my high blood pressure.
    I think any one of a number of anti-immune plans will naturally bring your blood pressure down, without paying too much attention to salt. YMMV. Of course stress is a major factor, as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •