Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Inflammatory Diet

I did a quick google on the salt issue. The most interesting thing I ran across is that most of our salt intake comes from processed food, not table salt. I checked my mustard and ketchup and it's there. Plus in canned beans, tomato sauces, and soups. It's good evidence to do our own food preparation. And indeed may not have iodine. My choice is to depend on other dietary sources for iodine as I'd like to keep my salt intake low, but it's one of those things that is not perfectly obvious.

I got this seasoning called 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's. It has many herbs and spices blended into it. While it does not make my flavorless food taste good, it does make it more palatable. It also makes the food smell good, which is pleasant.

21 Seasoning Salute has just a tiny bit of cayenne pepper in it, but it does not come off hot or spicy.

I put this stuff on all kinds of things -- trout I caught at the lake, squash I sauteed, breakfast potatoes, hard boiled eggs -- seemingly anything "savory."

I suggest giving 21 Seasoning Salute a try!

So I did the whole month of April on this flavorless/Anti-Inflammatory diet.

For this month I made one very minor change. I am allowing myself one serving of iodized table salt each day. Today is only my second day, so who knows if this little bit of salt will send me into some wild binges or not. Obviously I hope not.

But I will say this: When I had some of that magical dust sprinkled on my raw radishes and avocado yesterday I was like: "Foodgasm!"

Fortunately, the nutrition gurus I admire are bullish on salt and flavor. I've seen a lot of autoimmune plans, and none of them have proscribed sodium.

For iodine, you can also purchase powdered seaweed to sprinkle on your food. It has a somewhat salty, "weedy" taste. The one I use and can't recall the name of is made from seaweed on the Maine coast.

I just ran across Mikhaila Peterson's blog. She credits a carnivorous diet (meat and water) for reversing her many, many health conditions (unfortunately not including several joint replacements...) There seems to be no one treatment for whatever ails you, and finding a cure seems to require diligent trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There seems to be no one treatment for whatever ails you, and finding a cure seems to require diligent trial and error.
    True words. In a country that reveres 100-calorie packs of crackers and Meatless Mondays*, I've lost more than 50 pounds eating chicken skin, sour cream, and eggs fried with butter. I haven't felt this good in decades. It (essentially a ketogenic diet) is not an eating plan for everyone. But if I had listened to the conventional wisdom, I'd be on diabetic meds between my blood glucose swings and probably heavier than I am now. We all have to tailor for what works for our bodies. This is a way to eat that I can stick with and has positive results. For me.

Good luck, UL! Once you've grown accustomed to the taste of "naked" food, adding even a little salt is a revelation.

* I'm aware there are several reasons to promote non-meat meals. But IMHO nutritionally, avoiding meat is not necessary for most people. So Meatless Anyday or Meatless Everyday can be based on other considerations.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Fortunately, the nutrition gurus I admire are bullish on salt and flavor. I've seen a lot of autoimmune plans, and none of them have proscribed sodium.
    I am worried about my high blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    True words. In a country that reveres 100-calorie packs of crackers and Meatless Mondays*, I've lost more than 50 pounds eating chicken skin, sour cream, and eggs fried with butter. I haven't felt this good in decades. It (essentially a ketogenic diet) is not an eating plan for everyone. But if I had listened to the conventional wisdom, I'd be on diabetic meds between my blood glucose swings and probably heavier than I am now. We all have to tailor for what works for our bodies. This is a way to eat that I can stick with and has positive results. For me.

Good luck, UL! Once you've grown accustomed to the taste of "naked" food, adding even a little salt is a revelation.

* I'm aware there are several reasons to promote non-meat meals. But IMHO nutritionally, avoiding meat is not necessary for most people. So Meatless Anyday or Meatless Everyday can be based on other considerations.
    I eat fish and poultry daily. But I don't like beef's flavor. I avoid pigs and goats -- even though they taste amazing -- because they seem too pet-like to me.

Today I had trout for lunch. Tomorrow I will likely have salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am worried about my high blood pressure.
    I think any one of a number of anti-immune plans will naturally bring your blood pressure down, without paying too much attention to salt. YMMV. Of course stress is a major factor, as well.

Thread Information