Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Poor George H.W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Unless they don’t believe in god or practice a non Christian religion. But still have to pray to the Christian god in schools and sing silent night or see the Ten Commandments in public buildings. Then the majority is ok to enforce their values with the support of the courts. One nation under god and all.
    I don't believe in God and don't have to pray to any gods, although I don't mind seeing the Ten Commandments because they are actually quite good rules to live by. Actually, I'm not sure that anyone is forced to pray to any gods in school unless it's part of forced inclusion to whatever non Christian god is currently in vogue.

But I'm in fly-over country. They may do things differently elsewhere.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't believe in God and don't have to pray to any gods, although I don't mind seeing the Ten Commandments because they are actually quite good rules to live by.
    Actually, if you read the ten commandments they do a rather piss-poor job of giving you rules to give by compared to other sets of rules.

Check this out:

1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shall not have any gods before me.
    2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything.
    3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
    5. Honor your father and your mother.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
    10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, or property.

The first four are all about God's ego and how you should worship him. So 40 percent of your "quite good rules to live by" you yourself do not live by. And they really have nothing to do with the pragmatics of being a good person.

The last six are alright.

But the big dog from the Jain religion, Mahavira, kicked the God of Abraham's rule-making butt in one sentence! Check it out: "Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being."

Hows-about we put that in the courts and schools and city halls of Merka?

All this nastiness directed at the dead and dying. What a poisonous and petty people we have become.

“I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    All this nastiness directed at the dead and dying. What a poisonous and petty people we have become.

“I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”.
    That's a nice horse you have there; pretty tall. Can I help you down?

If the dead and dying are truly bad people then I don't see much problem with it. Honestly though it's hard for me to get worked up about Barbara Bush. And if HW is still grabbing people in the nursing home (and isn't senile but senile is always possible at that age), it's just pathetic. But then the over obsession with sex crimes is a problem too. But yes some of the other members of Barbara's family are more problematic, but you have to be to reach that level of power (it's not just that power corrupts but that a certain type of power won't attract any but the corrupt, so you at best can certainly hope for a lesser degree of it).

But the big dog from the Jain religion, Mahavira, kicked the God of Abraham's rule-making butt in one sentence! Check it out: "Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being."
    I like this 1 sentence rule, it really kicks ass: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That's a nice horse you have there; pretty tall. Can I help you down?
    No thanks. The view is better and it keeps me out of the gutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Actually, if you read the ten commandments they do a rather piss-poor job of giving you rules to give by compared to other sets of rules.

Check this out:

1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shall not have any gods before me.
    2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything.
    3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
    5. Honor your father and your mother.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
    10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, or property.

The first four are all about God's ego and how you should worship him. So 40 percent of your "quite good rules to live by" you yourself do not live by. And they really have nothing to do with the pragmatics of being a good person.

The last six are alright.

Hows-about we put that in the courts and schools and city halls of Merka?

That’s not a bug, it’s a feature. They worked in a few even a craven sinner such as I wouldn’t be likely to transgress. It keeps you hopeful and in the game.

Your guys thing is a dead loss from the start. We’re constantly killing at least some microbial flora and fauna with every breath. Your dog’s breakfast probably cost a few lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

I like this 1 sentence rule, it really kicks ass: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    I like this one too!

OK, now that all the acid is spilled, can we go back to the regular program, please.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I spent the day with 41 as part of his local protection detail about 15 years ago. He was down to earth, gracious and unassuming. He chatted freely and treated everyone as if they were long lost friends. I watched him get down on his knees, at a point in his life where he had to be helped back up, so that a gaggle of kids could have their picture taken with him.

I wasn't at all surprised a few years ago when he shaved his head in solidarity with a member of his Secret Service details child who lost his or her hair due to chemo treatments. That's the kind of guy he is.

I believe he and his wife were good people, I mourn her loss and his pain. Nothing anonymous internet commentators can say will change that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information