Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poor George H.W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Has the Me Too movement resulted in any other successful prosecutions besides Cosby? It seems like Weinstein, Wynn, Lauer et al lost their jobs but aren't headed to jail.
    Since Cosby's legal problems pre-date the Me Too movement it's probably not applicable to his conviction. Weinstein, et al., cases are much more recent with criminal investigations ongoing. If you're implying that only the black guy has been convicted, I'd suggest patience.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I'd like to see them all convicted. Conmentators are stating the Me Too movement's rise between Cosby's first and second trials may have been one factor in the outcome.

And though she was not assaulted I'm rooting for Stormy Daniels too because she was harassed after the fact.

I'd like to see them all convicted. Conmentators are stating the Me Too movement's rise between Cosby's first and second trials may have been one factor in the outcome.
    If that's true then it's a miscarriage of justice. A conviction based upon populist sentiment rather than law has no place in a just society.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I'm glad changing populist sentiment helped move us from Plessy v. Ferguson to Brown v. Board of Education.

I'm glad changing populist sentiment helped move us from Plessy v. Ferguson to Brown v. Board of Education.
    I would argue that localized populist sentiment created Plessy v Ferguson and strict adherence to law in Brown v BoE corrected it. Let's not backslide.

Yppej
    No, let's not backslide, but let's also not revere laws simply because they are laws. Three fifths of a person.

No, let's not backslide, but let's also not revere laws simply because they are laws. Three fifths of a person.
    The 3/5ths rule was designed to limit the southern slave states representation and influence in Congress, not to demean a class of people, and became irrelevant after the reclamation. Frederick Douglass was a fan, but he understood its purpose.

Yppej
    We are a nation of lawbreakers, because in the course of human events it became necessary. The law should serve the people, not people the law.

And I'm glad 3/5 is a thing of the past and we have one person one vote.

We are a nation of lawbreakers, because in the course of human events it became necessary. The law should serve the people, not people the law.
    I agree up to a point. The greatest flaw of a Democracy is the possibility that laws will reflect populist sentiment and the least popular kids will be banned from the playground or forced into after school detention. That's why we're a Constitutional Republic.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree up to a point. The greatest flaw of a Democracy is the possibility that laws will reflect populist sentiment and the least popular kids will be banned from the playground or forced into after school detention. That's why we're a Constitutional Republic.
    Unless they don’t believe in god or practice a non Christian religion. But still have to pray to the Christian god in schools and sing silent night or see the Ten Commandments in public buildings if Christians have their way. Then the majority is ok to enforce their values with the support of the courts. One nation under god and all.

Thread Information