Thread: Contact lens case sanitizing

Contact lens case sanitizing

I wear gas permeable hard lenses and use the cheapo cases with the flip tops. My current case is several years old (so old that the top broke off on one side because the "hinge" plastic part wore out from folding back and forth so many times) so I ordered a package of a dozen from amazon. Reading the reviews someone commented that she didn't think the cases had been sanitized so she ended up boiling them before use. Doing a little digging I found that most ophthalmology related web sites recommend doing this from time to time, and replacing the case every few months.

Do other people do this? In 32 years of wearing contacts I've never given a thought to whether the case was sanitary or not and have never had an eye infection. Part of that is probably because I don't wear soft lenses. Since they absorb liquid they would seem much more susceptible to acquiring bacteria. But is part of it also luck? Should I change my habits? I'm curious what everyone else does.

Yppej
    I replace them when the plastic starts to discolor with age and have never boiled them. I wear soft lenses.

Hygiene hypothesis.

I buy the solutions that include a case, so have a bunch. I didn't ever boil them, but did dump out the solution and rinse daily. Left open for air drying, too. I change the cases out about monthly, I suppose.

I too have never had any issues with bacteria, but if you are using the same case for years that might be tempting fate.

Just think, it's likely in the bathroom and studies show fecal bacteria aerosolizes from the flush!

Funny you mention flushing and fecal bacteria. I actually had considered that and as a result leave the case closed all day and rinse it out just before i take my lenses out each night.

I get a new case every 6 months when I get a new order of lenses (gas permeable), so I throw the old one away then. But when I wore hard lenses I used the same case for many years without any problem at all.

Thread Information