Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debit card without bank account

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Debit card without bank account

What is the simplest way to do this, i have a parent in my program whomhas always paid cash and now we won't accept that. He also needs to get email. I called my supervisor for support last night and he just kept talking about how parents need to be accountable, so there isn't going to be a way around this. I would consider it rude to ask too much about why he uses cash, so just wanted to give him an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    What is the simplest way to do this, i have a parent in my program whomhas always paid cash and now we won't accept that. He also needs to get email. I called my supervisor for support last night and he just kept talking about how parents need to be accountable, so there isn't going to be a way around this. I would consider it rude to ask too much about why he uses cash, so just wanted to give him an idea.
    I could be completely off base on this, but I would not be giving this kind of advice to parents, especially when your supervisor seems to not want you to do this.
    Do you have a school social worker you can refer him to, and tell the supervisor you have done so?

How can you get around not accepting cash? You aren't a private business are you? Its my understanding only "privately owned" businesses can make that stipulation. If Fed. grants are at all in play with your programming you may risk fallback if parents can figure out who to complain to.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That's true, Float, but whenever ZG tries to do something sensible or helpful to parents, it seems like she gets punished by supervisor for exhibiting independent judgment. Thus my suggestion to avoid the situation and pass it along to her supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    it seems like she gets punished by supervisor for exhibiting independent judgment. Thus my suggestion to avoid the situation and pass it along to her supervisor.
    So so true, Tybee! +1
    Another situation where supervisor or whoever above him hasn't done his research.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Well there is the option of prepaid cards, fees and so on but. If you are serving a poorer clientele it hardly needs to be asked why they are using cash, that demographic - and frankly often stretching into the middle class but it depends - often doesn't have a bank account (which makes forbidding cash really dumb if it's a demographic you hope to serve but ...). Supervisor is confusing class markers for "accountability". Really dumb and clueless. But if for whatever bureaucratic reason they need to use something other than cash then prepaid cards and the like are an option.
    Trees don't grow on money

Cash basis takes it out of your role. There may be other ways of dealing with this that you know nothing about. Refer the problem to your sup but cc his sup as it not just you that will encounter this challenge and the organization needs to resolve a response.

Wow! Just WOW!

Requiring email and use of cards for payment is illegal in California, for Anything related to public schools, including after-school and out-of-school programs, sports, enrichment, remediation, etc.

These practices have been deemed discriminatory and as contributing to the achievement gap, and transgression is swiftly and completely dealt with- licenses and use permits withdrawn, with no recourse on the part of the transgressor.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Cash basis takes it out of your role. There may be other ways of dealing with this that you know nothing about. Refer the problem to your sup but cc his sup as it not just you that will encounter this challenge and the organization needs to resolve a response.
    This.

ZG cant be the only one in her organization that runs into this brick wall. Her supervisor didnt make the policy.
    It will not be news to the Finance people in her school system that a small number of parents will not be able to pay unless they are providing options that ZG has not mentioned. .

Her role is to carry out the organization’s practices.

I would never get into the role of counseling a member of the public I serve about how they should go about opening money accounts and etc. It is her role to list the methods of payment that are accepted. It is common to not have a bank account, often because the person cannot get one due to financial mismanagement in the past and the bank says “no.” This is confidential stuff.

Can you accept money orders? My MIL who didn't have a checking account or a debit card used those.

Didn't understand your comment about email: do you mean that your program requires an email address?

Thread Information