Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Debit card without bank account

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Cash basis takes it out of your role. There may be other ways of dealing with this that you know nothing about. Refer the problem to your sup but cc his sup as it not just you that will encounter this challenge and the organization needs to resolve a response.
    This.

ZG cant be the only one in her organization that runs into this brick wall. Her supervisor didnt make the policy.
    It will not be news to the Finance people in her school system that a small number of parents will not be able to pay unless they are providing options that ZG has not mentioned. .

Her role is to carry out the organization’s practices.

I would never get into the role of counseling a member of the public I serve about how they should go about opening money accounts and etc. It is her role to list the methods of payment that are accepted. It is common to not have a bank account, often because the person cannot get one due to financial mismanagement in the past and the bank says “no.” This is confidential stuff.

ZG, you are a lot like me which means you enjoy helping people and see it as part of your job. I think it is great that you are looking for alternatives to help the parents out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    ZG, you are a lot like me which means you enjoy helping people and see it as part of your job. I think it is great that you are looking for alternatives to help the parents out.
    Yes, but it does seem every time she tries to help parents by thinking independently, the supervisor seizes on it as some sort of insurrection. That she goes outside the lines (and he keeps redrawing the lines!)

Thanks all, I have had enough of trying to push to help my parents. I am just going along with the plans they have, I guess I am finally ready to suck it up and just do it. I have a reputation now of defiance, not helping serve students and families. This is still in some ways a better job than some (hours suck). I get to work with kids, am not sitting at a desk, and get to play.

Going through a major re-adjustment, still applying for other jobs and meanwhile just need to accept that I have not authority and a lot of responsibility. My inner punk kid is done having a tantrum.

Zoe, your supervisor didnt make this rule about “ no cash payments” did he? Who did?

What are all of the alternative ways that parents CAN pay?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Zoe, your supervisor didnt make this rule about “ no cash payments” did he? Who did?

What are all of the alternative ways that parents CAN pay?
    Parents have been able to pay by check, money order or cash if they go to the main office. I don't accept payments. So I think this may be a change going forward. I also don't know who made the rule or if he understands my question, another person who was looped into this said they can register without paying the registration fee at the time of registration, which means they can bring another form of payment to our main office (at least according to previous policies). At our training we were told that paper forms would be available for specific circumstances.

I am wondering about our grant funded sites, they will have very low enrollment this way. The tuition based sites have a history IMHO of not serving everyone in a range of socio/economic factors and those who need a lot of support (low literacy for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Parents have been able to pay by check, money order or cash if they go to the main office. I don't accept payments. So I think this may be a change going forward. I also don't know who made the rule or if he understands my question, another person who was looped into this said they can register without paying the registration fee at the time of registration, which means they can bring another form of payment to our main office (at least according to previous policies). At our training we were told that paper forms would be available for specific circumstances.

I am wondering about our grant funded sites, they will have very low enrollment this way. The tuition based sites have a history IMHO of not serving everyone in a range of socio/economic factors and those who need a lot of support (low literacy for example)
    I still do not understand from your answer quoted. When you say “I think this may be a change going forward,” it seems you dont understand either. Didn't you present this entire thread as a change in practice with cash at your shop? How exactly did you learn that parents may not use cash? What specifically is the change? That YOU may not NOW accept cash and prior to this, you could?

I dont mean to pick on you but this discussion seems circular and I suspect this kind of communication feeds into your problems with your boss.

Your response Zoe raises so many questions for me.

From what you've told me, your team handles registrations for programs. It sounds like a pretty major change to how business is done to no longer allow parents to use cash for payment and to require them to provide an email address. I would have expected them to provide at least a couple of announcements on this with a date in the future this would be effective, and perhaps allowing you to ask some of those "what if" questions (what if a parent doesn't have a bank account....) Was this never communicated to you? That seems like a huge oversight. From what I'm reading between the lines here, you were never told about this change when it was being planned. Is that correct?

How many of your students parents, have a smart phone? What operating system? If this is either a prepaid phone or a "Obama phone" doesn't matter for the question. I know there are low income people without a computer (see project Reglue), however even prepaid Android phones, require you to sign up for an account (that should give email) for their "play" stores.
    If they have a phone like mine, it doesn't have that ability, and that is something that needs to be discussed/addressed.

Yes, it all seems very circular and confusing at times to me too. Basically in our training we heard there was a paper option for registration but we were strongly discouraged from using them. I have supported 2 families through the process to do this on line. We also were told how parents could easily pay, change schedules, etc. in our new system It was not part of training to say that no other forms of payment would be accepted.

I am at our camp day for the teacher walk out and there is another PS here, seems like we are all in the same boat. This was not part of our training or sent as a new policy to all of us. Sometime in spring we were told individually that we could not accept cash. However I was not sure if it was just me or everyone. Now it seems it is everyone, and we all found out the same way. That makes me feel better. Still frustrating to have it presented in the tone that of course I should know, when the other PS's also were surprised as well.

Thread Information