Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yelp

That is why you have to read many of the reviews, look at the pictures, and make your own decisions. Same on Amazon. But I will err on the side of believing specific content when there are choices.

yelp is so gamed, companies totally manipulate the reviews in their favor.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I like to read reviews before I buy something. On Amazon I will click on reviewers to see their other reviews. I like to see somebody with a range of experiences and likes in their reviews. I used to write a lot for Amazon but rarely do anymore. I use TripAdvisor frequently and have many reviews with them.

I like to read reviews, too, especially since they often will highlight aspects of the item (good or bad) which are important to me but not visible in the pictures or mentioned in the Product Description. I'm just wary of the hidden axes present in some reviews.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yelp is so gamed, companies totally manipulate the reviews in their favor.
    I wrote a few Yelp reviews--both positive and not so--but they were soon relegated to Yelp purgatory, where you had to go out of your way to read them--and I have no idea why. For that reason, I'm not a fan.