Thread: I got a new iPhone. My brain hurts.

I got a new iPhone. My brain hurts.

Good thing DH was with me at the store, because I understood NOTHING the girl said. I got an 8 plus. I really didn't want a bigger phone than I had (5C), but it had a lot of benefits to it. Just wish we hadn't got a couple accessories at the ATT store.......but it was good to get it all done. She talked me into a textured Otter box, which I don't like now, and a collapsible round thing for the back of the phone, so it's (supposedly) easier to hold, and it also can hold the phone on the table at an angle. But that means it never lays flat, and I do lots of phone stuff with it flat on the table. Oh well. It's over. Now I just need to get used to this HUGE thang. I've had a 5C for years, and it was really pooping out on me.......so a well-working phone is a nice change. So many First World problems!

I love my iPhone 8 Plus! I read Kindle books on it. I’m posting from it right now.

I just recently bought my first personal cell phone, a plus sized Android phone, Google's Pixel XL, which is about the same dimensions as your iPhone 8 Plus. I've been carrying company cell phones since the days when they were the size of a large brick with a 12" rubber antenna sticking out the top. I've always preferred small phones and still miss my old Motorola StarTac which wasn't much bigger than a matchbook, but that was pre-smartphone days.

A few years ago my wife went with the iPhone 6 Plus and she loved the extra size in a smart phone because it seemed easier to use on the go. I've been using company iPhones for the last 6 or 7 years and have gotten bored with them, to the point that I'm no longer an Apple FanBoy. Since I'm retiring in a few months and will no longer be able to have someone else provide my toys, I started shopping around for providers and finally settled on Google's Project FI because it's relatively cheap and in theory I should have service anywhere I go since their phones (which are kinda pricey) will seamlessly move between multiple networks from public/private WiFi, Sprint, T-Mobile and Consumer Cellular.

After I'd settled on the provider I then had to choose a phone. Based upon my wife's recommendation I went with the larger Pixel and I've been very happy with it so far. Like Tradd, I now read books on my phone, a device that's still easy to carry while still giving me the ease of use I'd previously only experienced in a much larger tablet.

I think you'll soon get used to the bigger size and once you do, you won't want to go back.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

DW has an iPhone 6s Plus and an iPad mini. There's not a lot of difference between them, size-wise. I wonder if, when it's time to replace the iPad, she'll stick with the phone. I see her using it almost as often as the mini.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I hate those cases with the thingy on the back! I have an Otterbox Commuter case from Amazon.

Yeah, I hate that thing too. But DH has a smooth case with no thingy and is interested in switching.
    It's pretty outrageous the difference in cost of Otterboxes between ATT stores and Amazon. But I was so overwhelmed in the store, we just went with it.
    But hey.........money does grow on trees, right?

I have had a 6 for a little over 3 years now. I bought a super cheapy case because I didn't want it to get scratched and was worried about the fact that the camera sticks out. That's been enough to protect it for me. I've never felt the need for one of those holder things but I have friends that love them. When I got the 6 I thought about getting a 6 plus because I wanted the bigger screen but SO got one and after holding it for a minute I decided it was too big. The 6 screen has been fine since I have an iPad that I use if I'm doing any sort of serious web site reading that's not optimized for phones.

Thread Information