Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old to retire?

How old to retire?

I'm just curious about when people decided to retire, at what age. If you are retired, at what age did you retire? Why did you retire at that age? Was it intentional or did it just evolve out of circumstances? What was your motivator to retire at the age you did?
    If not yet retired, when you do you want to retire?

I work part-time but left the full-time gig for health reasons at 60. But I still need to cobble together some income. And I'd like to shift to a different kind of work, so I am trying to retrain for something different.

I like working but have health issues that make full time employment tough in most situations.
    Just curious about what others have done and why, so share your experiences, thanks!

I retired at 61 when I became eligible for my pension. I probably would have stayed longer but the hassle of getting up early, traffic etc and the realization that we could get by without regular salaries made me take the leap. Plus I wanted to still accomplish some things with all that free time before "aging" set in. Funny thing is I just now feel retired as we have spent the past two years selling a house, moving, buying and remodeling a house none of which have allowed much free time. I might consider very part time work again just for the social connections as those get harder in retirement.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Age 52 and 54. When 401s started we started contributing. Stayed in our smaller paid for older house, used cars etc and found ymoyl early. Most of our friends and coworkers thought we were very cheap going on camping trips instead of upgrading cars, homes and cruise/flying vacations. 30 year marriage with similar goals and spending habits. DH had health problems and we decided to just do it. Sold almost everything and moved to Florida. Bought a house with cash from old house sale. We worked at some part time stuff for a while but found our bills were lower here. No state taxes, one car very doable, way lower utility bills so we stopped working after a few years.

Our decision was was based on enjoying life’s simple pleasures while we were able to. Cooking from scratch, biking, walking, playing cards with new friends, birdwatching, reading library books, swimming at our community pools and going to library programs, attending things at senior centers like exercise classes such as line dancing , volunteer and attend free music events. One DIL said we were leaving our prime earning years but I think it was worth it for us. We don’t buy much. We drive to visit kids or go to the beach or parks with a cooler in the car. Rarely go to restaurants or buy stuff. We almost never drink alcohol. No regrets.

Social connections have been easy living in a retirement community.

We love our life and feel we opened jobs for younger people. Our volunteer work is fulfilling. We feel better physically and mentally than if we had stayed at work. Life is good.

I’ll get my full pension in 8 more years st age 64. I plan to retire at that time. I’ll probably teach nursing students as a retirement job. I taught nursing clinicals in various hospitals part time a few years ago and loved it. It’s perfect for retirement - 10 shifts a semester equals about a shift a week. I can’t imagine doing nothing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I’ll get my full pension in 8 more years st age 64. I plan to retire at that time. I’ll probably teach nursing students as a retirement job. I taught nursing clinicals in various hospitals part time a few years ago and loved it. It’s perfect for retirement - 10 shifts a semester equals about a shift a week. I can’t imagine doing nothing ...
    Ahhhh, those of us who dont work for pay are not “doing nothing.” But I think you know that, perhaps yours was just a poor choice of words?

I retired before I was 50, then worked part- and full-time off and on. I retired permanently at about 55. I'm perfectly happy "doing nothing." My motto is "So many books, so little time." "Doing nothing" is my idea of working for a living--a complete waste of time and life.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I retired before I was 50, then worked part- and full-time off and on. I retired permanently at about 55. I'm perfectly happy "doing nothing." My motto is "So many books, so little time." "Doing nothing" is my idea of working for a living--a complete waste of time and life.
    Jane, you lazy slut! (Haha cue old Saturday Night Live newscasts with Jane Curtain as reference here.)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jane, you lazy slut! (Haha cue old Saturday Night Live newscasts with Jane Curtain as reference here.)
    Ha! I embrace my lazy sluttishness! (I make sure to read so no one can legitimately say "Jane, you ignorant slut!")

IL and Jane, you guys made me laugh outloud) I retired at 58 and 7 months later started teaching my class. It was the first time I ever taught and 5 years later they will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. I also started testing clients which is what I did in my career for 24 years. I am winding down that business and am not buying anymore tests. I don't have as many hobbies as some so it keeps me busy besides my volunteer work and doing fun things.

I plan to retire next year. I will be 58 and 6 months at that time. My company however may beat me to it, they had a big layoff in January and i wouldn't be surprised if there is another one this year. I've already been told that the role I have is superfluous, so I'm sure I'll be at the top of the next list. If I get laid off, I'm likely to either retire or take 3-6 month contract jobs. I'm not looking for a new/better job, as I work from home 100% of the time. Now I am so spoiled not having to pack a lunch, put on makeup and real grown up clothes and no commute, it would really be a drag to go back to that.

I've never worked in a company that had a pension plan (other than my first job out of college where I only stayed 2 years). I think we have enough to retire now (because we don't spend much) but hubby is more conservative and thinks we need a bigger buffer. The reason for next year, is that he will qualify for Medicare then, and hopefully health care for only one person will be more affordable.

Thread Information