Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How old to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ha! I embrace my lazy sluttishness! (I make sure to read so no one can legitimately say "Jane, you ignorant slut!")
    Yes!

Always planned to be able to retire at 55 when I was eligible for my pension. Would have stayed if I could have done part time but it wasn't available. I have two volunteer jobs that I love because I write my own schedule. The last several years have been packed with finalizing my parents affairs. With my dad passing in January and winding down the trust I feel like I'm retiring for a second time. We have some big travel plans this year with our free time.

These are so interesting to me. I realize I feel wistful at the idea of retiring early with a pension. I am "pension free" and still need to make money to live on. I really like seeing the range of responses, and I can see how one's individual circumstances really factor into figuring out the best time to retire, or whether one wishes to/can retire at all.

My DH and I each have a small pension of 20k each. However, because WEP takes 2/3's of our SS we probably aren't any better off then people who have this much from SS. I enjoy making $ from my job and that is less we need to take from our savings.

Yppej
    It will probably be age 70.

Like much else in life I don't expect it to be entirely in my control. At a certain age corporate america might decide it's time to put you out to pasture as you are "too old", and if anywhere near say social security collection age presto chango you are "retired". At least it sounds much more dignified than unemployed no? Yea obviously if that happens at 50 and one isn't wealthy one probably DOES need to try to find an alternative plan but if it happens at 60 maybe not ... one is ahem "retired" (aka living off savings until SS kicks in in a couple years and helps some with the bills). But hey if anyone asks you are retired.

Until then or one is able to retire on one's own timeline, one is not retired, but one may find themselves unemployed and burning through savings and not able to add to retirement savings or even SS (at least I haven't touched anything with any tax penalties).

I don't think anyone has a pension these days but government workers.
    Trees don't grow on money

I retired at 57. I worked one more year than I should have. I was so afraid of the economy. I feel I wasted that year of my life that I stayed working. Unless you have no outside interests at all... retire as soon as possible IMO. Life is too short doing things that you are required to do. It is so amazing to do what I want, when I want! Like the others here, I have always been frugal and have always saved. Sometimes it was only pennies, but still saved. As they say, "where there is a will, there is a way."

Honestly, I predict I will die before retirement. But on the off-chance I live to retirement, I am saving for it.

My retirement savings is designated to go to my sister, niece, and a secular non-profit when I keel over.

I retired 12/1/17 at the age of 59. I have a corporate pension which is pretty small after they deduct retiree medical and dental benefits for DH & me, but I know I am lucky to have them so will not complain. I was going to work until age 62, but I just couldn't stand it any more, and they made a change for the worse to medical benefits for those retiring after 12/1/17, so that nudged me to make my move. I could also see my mother really declining with memory issues, and I knew I could offer her a lot more assistance if I retired.
    I have a housecleaning gig and am about to get a dog walking gig. I'm helping out Mom and taking a carpentry course and I have a bunch of home projects to work on. I'm hoping to get involved in the local tree committee. I feel like I'm as busy as I ever was, but not as stressed, which is great. And no fricking meetings!

My target is 60......our retirement is fully funded so the rest is frosting. I'm turning 57 in 32 days. Some days I'm really ready to pull the switch now, but most days I enjoy my work.

If we had universal healthcare in this country we'd both retire now though as there would be no worries about needing that chunk of change based on the national average of $143k per person after age 65.

I do see volunteer work or perhaps a per diem position if someone will have me. But i want to control my schedule for maximum flexibility.

Thread Information