Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching the migrant caravan?

Yppej
    Paul is more cognizant of the root causes of refugee crises and America's role in them. For instance, ending the war on drugs which he supports would impact conditions in the countries the migrant caravan members come from.

Befree wrote about Middle Eastern refugees. An informative book on the US role there is Political Tribes: Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations by Amy Chua.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I just read online that what is left of this caravan arrived in Tijuana and will be trying for political asylum at the San Ysidro point of entry. Ay carumba, with Trump at the helm I doubt it will happen......and Trump will not let these people enter the US for the express purpose of fleeing to Canada which has a much more liberal government at the moment and they might have better luck with a Canadian political asylum claim.

That said, I read a few days ago that the caravan was in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico - a few hours south of Nogales. I was so hoping the caravan would continue on to Nogales, Mexico, to try for political asylum at the Nogales Port of Entry. I would have done whatever I could have done in my power to switch with someone for a day off so that I could be part of the inevitable protest(s). I was kind of bummed that the caravan continued on to Tijuana but I wish them all the best. I just wish there was a way they could enter the US and proceed on to Blaine, Washington (north of Bellingham, WA and right on the border with Canada and not at all far from Vancouver, BC. I really do believe they'd have a better shot at political asylum in Canada. Rob

Rob, why dont they stay in Mexico? Given how great it is, and all.They are IN Mexico now, seems like you would be supporting them taking advantage of all Mexico has to offer.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I just read online that what is left of this caravan arrived in Tijuana and will be trying for political asylum at the San Ysidro point of entry. Ay carumba, with Trump at the helm I doubt it will happen......and Trump will not let these people enter the US for the express purpose of fleeing to Canada which has a much more liberal government at the moment and they might have better luck with a Canadian political asylum claim.

That said, I read a few days ago that the caravan was in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico - a few hours south of Nogales. I was so hoping the caravan would continue on to Nogales, Mexico, to try for political asylum at the Nogales Port of Entry. I would have done whatever I could have done in my power to switch with someone for a day off so that I could be part of the inevitable protest(s). I was kind of bummed that the caravan continued on to Tijuana but I wish them all the best. I just wish there was a way they could enter the US and proceed on to Blaine, Washington (north of Bellingham, WA and right on the border with Canada and not at all far from Vancouver, BC. I really do believe they'd have a better shot at political asylum in Canada. Rob
    trump is doing exactly what he said he would do and surrounded himself with like minded thinkers. He is getting huge support for his stance on illegal entry into the US and they are working on fast tracking deportations. There should be no one surprised. That is one of the big reasons he won. Remember the chants “Build that wall”.

We have a very low ranked school system in my state. One of my friends who is an ex teacher, decided to tutor reading. The three students she was assigned speak no English. No English is spoken in the home. Whether or not you agree with it, that makes people crazy. People work hard, pay taxes, struggle to pay for health care, buy a house, pay for groceries and save for the future. Then their low ranked school is not allowed to ask immigration status so taxpayers fund their education and special services, kids get free breakfast and lunch, and free medical care in an emergency room as they cannot be turned away if they need it. Less money and services going to legal taxpayers children. You can call it inhumane or whatever you want but that is why people liked Trump.

In the original article i linked the mother mother had two children, and was pregnant. Who is going to pay for their medical care, food, clothing, housing? Who will teach them English? How will this woman contribute to the society that will pay for them? We are not taking care of our own students in my state, we are not taking adequate care of our veterans, And that is what pushes peoples buttons. How can we take care of everyone?

I tend to wonder about that too. And why does Mexico not help them out. I think they have heard that they will be taken care of here in the US one way or the other. And without jobs or means of support there is truth in that.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I don't know Rob, it looks like Canada is having problems allocating resources for migrants, to the point of asking the US to do a better job of screening folks coming through from our country. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...border-crisis/
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess I'm just heartless, but if we let these people in, what will that say to the many who are still considering it? I absolutely despise Trump, but I AM glad something is being done about immigration.
    It's EXTREMELY sad and disconcerting that so many are fleeing a bad place.........but shit happens and I wouldn't want to ruin what most of us have, in order to accomodate all the flee-ers of the world. It's not the same country/world as it was when the first immigrants came over. I'm sure it's quite natural to want to go to a better place if your life is awful/dangerous where you are. But at some point, it begins to cause problems in the places they are fleeing to.

There seems to be such a huge difference in feeling about this. I don't quite understand those who want everyone knocking on the U.S.'s door to be let in.

Some countries have had the notion that they have to save everyone.........all of our citizens no matter what happens to them. And we feel it's our duty to save everyone everywhere. This just isn't a sustainable situation.

Why are those who want strict immigration laws considered cold/heartless/unreasonable? We have so many problems already that we can't seem to deal with. Why would we welcome more?

Like I've said before........I view things in terms of the family. What if you had a nice/reasonable family, where everyone was fed well and had opportunities for education, medicine, etc. But people in the neighborhood were unhappy where they were (no matter what the reason), and they saw how nice your home/family was, and they began coming into your house. What would happen??

Yes, I feel horrible for these people who want in. But realistically........what would it mean? Aren't there things we can do, to better the lives they had elsewhere? Everybody on earth can't live in Europe, Canada or the U.S.

And just taking in all those people at the border, just to asses their right to asylum will take time, resources, housing, food, and tie up the legal system.

It's all become so crazy. I can hardly bear it.

If we had not repeatedly bombed Syria the people would be happy to stay home. They had jobs, houses etc before the first Bush decided to ruin their country. The US and other countries helped to create this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If we had not repeatedly bombed Syria the people would be happy to stay home. They had jobs, houses etc before the first Bush decided to ruin their country. The US and other countries helped to create this crisis.
    “Happy” may be a bit of a stretch

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Another reason Trump was elected. Talking about the middle eastern countries taking care of their neighbors problems, not us doing long term intervention in other countries religious and border wars

Thread Information