Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: business plans for next year

That seems like a job skill to me; i'd certainly fit it into my resume', along with all the other ten thousand fiddly little chores you're expected to cram into your job description.

Thanks Jane, Yes it IS too complicated. I want a grant site again, I know grants better than business. I just want to show off that I am really capable, and then get the h** out with confidence.

Can grant writing be part of your skill set? I think people do that for a living.

It seems highly unlikely to me that these things have not already been laid out as policy. I suspect you are dealing with at least a couple of layers of ineffective management, or maybe the turnover has been so high that these things haven't been passed on or really come to the surface, and because you've been there a while, you see them, but no one else does.

Really, it seems like you need to get your hands on the policy manual. Seeking and using a policy manual is the kind of thing that makes you very valuable in school organizations. So the question becomes, What is the Policy? not, How can I change this? Subtle difference, but really important to the health of the organization and the people who work in it and are served by it.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 4-29-18 at 12:05pm. Reason: clarification

ZG, I agree that there should be a policy book developed by the organization to CYA more than anything else. Grants, alternative funding, fee management etc. When the final report at the end of the grant period is submitted, what evaluations are required, from whom, by whom? Who submits grant applications and final reports and who is held accountable for the funds obtained? It surely cannot be all your doing. No one has that big a job or liability. Most money situations require two signatures in business. After-school care is a business like any other but non-profit in nature.

Your caring nature is perfect especially for kids that need that kind of support so it is not a bad fit for you as much as a murky job description of roles and responsibilities. Would an organizational flow chart be available somewhere that might help?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    ZG, I agree that there should be a policy book developed by the organization to CYA more than anything else. Grants, alternative funding, fee management etc. When the final report at the end of the grant period is submitted, what evaluations are required, from whom, by whom? Who submits grant applications and final reports and who is held accountable for the funds obtained? It surely cannot be all your doing. No one has that big a job or liability. Most money situations require two signatures in business. After-school care is a business like any other but non-profit in nature.

Your caring nature is perfect especially for kids that need that kind of support so it is not a bad fit for you as much as a murky job description of roles and responsibilities. Would an organizational flow chart be available somewhere that might help?
    If I am reading this thread correctly, the OP’s current concerns are about a pay-for-service class, not a class coveted by a grant.

I guess, in her situation, I would look to the source that clued her in to the knowledge that she is supposed to charge 10-15% as an administrative fee. That souce appares to have a mine of information about the process of setting a fee.

At my former workplace the process was:

1) Zoe-person planned the program, contacted the person(s) who would be leading the classes for their fee, evaluated the fairness of that fee, and wrote a scope of work that included a “not to exceed ” amount of $
    2) our Business office took the scope of work document and reviewed the fee, and turned it all into a contract which had to be signed by the provider
    3) Zoe-person reported to Business office when class(es) was complete, and work compleyed to satisfaction of our organization
    4 ) any invoice provided to Zoe-person was forwarded to Business office for payment

Thread Information