Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you go to a single bed

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I have a roommate situation! Really happy about it. We are both in transition so maybe just for 5 months and the re evaluate. I saw free twin mattress and box sprin, the room is small and i am a small person. I would put my bed frame in storage and the mattress needs to be replaced so just let that go,,

Hmmmmm
    Just the typically less then $20 frame? Or does this have something weird about it that has some special connector that only works with whatever head/footboard you may or may not have?
    If space were a concern, then I would probably make a platform single bed, with drawers underneath. (and skip the box, that isn't a box spring)

My bed now is an Ikea bed I really like, with slats and no box spring. I prefer no box spring and a bed a little lower. So it would break down and fold up pretty nicely for storage. I currently have boxes underneath but nothing I really need with me, wrapping paper and overflow shoes and of course YARN.

I am thinking about looking at futons,

the only reason I wouldn't is because my dog sleeps on the other half of my queen. She's 16 and I adore her and would never make her move to the floor at her age. When my parents die and I have to find an apt, I would consider a twin just to have more space in the room. A futon sounds practical

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    My bed now is an Ikea bed I really like, with slats and no box spring. I prefer no box spring and a bed a little lower. So it would break down and fold up pretty nicely for storage. I currently have boxes underneath but nothing I really need with me, wrapping paper and overflow shoes and of course YARN.

I am thinking about looking at futons,
    Futons vary in quality. If I were you, I would go with a futon frame you like and then upgrade to a mattress that you feel confident will be comfortable on a daily basis. A lot of futons are sold on the premise that they will only occasionally be used for company... and a good way to discourage overnight guests in the future! I have a futon that I think is pretty comfortable, and I've slept on it fairly regularly when my dog chased me out of my own bed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

For more than a year I've been sleeping on a traditional Japanese shikifuton that I ordered from Japan. During the day it's folded into thirds; at night it's on the floor on interlocking foam squares (for insulation). It's the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on, and I sleep deeply and feel rested even after just a few hours. The best part is that it can go over a porch/balcony rail to get some sun and air, so it's always fresh. Mine is a twin size, which is all I've ever needed to sleep on. A larger one would be too bulky to maneuver. And it's filled with just cotton, so no smelly foam or fire resistant chemicals. I love it!!!!

I recently met someone who has been sleeping in a hammock for more than 10 years. During the day, it is moved and all hooked on one hook, to free the room to be fully used as a quilting studio! Such a wonderful idea! If it were not for the two cocker spaniels who enjoy sleping on my bed, I could easily see myself doing the same thing. I would love to have more room for sewing! My in-lieu-of idea is a side- folded, full size, murphy bed... sone day, soon.

A hammock wouldn't work for me because sleeping on my back causes apnea. And a twin bed wouldn't work for me for similar reasons to freshstart. If it was just me, sure. But my 20 lb cat cosleeps with me and I can generally find space on the edge of the bed. (he, of course, prefers to sleep in the center.)

Only sleeping in the same bed with my boyfriend, otherwise I would prefer my own bed.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Thread Information