Thread: Gasoline smell

Gasoline smell

I was getting things out of storage and one camping bin had a gas smell. In it were 2 tarp and my small backpack with the water bladder. I have airing them out and i dont think it is going to work. I just wonder if there is some special way to get rid of the smell, and if not would you throw away or give to goodwill.

Gonna miss that backpack, made me feel like a fremen

I did a google search on removing smells from fabric items and got a whole bunch of ideas. Baking soda, cat litter, charcoal, etc. I would try the cheapest and work up.

Thanks sweetana, I have a lot of cat litter so I am going to start there. I also finally put the back pack outside. I think the tarps are going in the trash however, My son said he thinks he put one under a car for some work and that is how the smell developed.

ZG, I would be very hesitant to try to salvage the water bladder. I would be concerned of contamination that you are then ingesting. Placing things outside in the fresh air and sunshine, however, are a good starting point for removing unwanted smells.

Throw them out.

Tarps are pretty inexpensive as are canvas drop cloths. We get ours often at harbor freight. Dont know where one would be out in Denver but it probably is not worth the time and effort to clean them unless you are using them in a garage and dont care about the smell.

Thread Information