Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Frugals!

Yppej
    I was tempted to take a yoga class but the staff were distant so I have put that idea on the shelf. This time of year I get enough exercise doing yardwork.

Believe it or not I am starting on Christmas gifts as I like to prepay expenses and then have slack in my budget for any emergencies that may arise.

Yppej: Sister and I were talking about a yoga class. That's a good point and maybe it's something we should do in the winter after leaf-raking exercise is done. Shoveling exercise is less predictable!

A few more frugals for the month:

- brought DW's car in to have the winter tires swapped for the summer tires. Usually we swap the tires with the bi-annual oil change and it costs a small amount. But this swap turned out to be "free" because we were at the store that sold us both sets of tires and they offer free rotations for the tires. These tires just happened to be rotated into and out of our garage.

- bought the groceries for a cabin weekend with buddies and was over-reimbursed (with their knowledge) by enough of them that I got more money back than I spent.

- still getting discounts at the coffee shop for bringing in my own containers. $2 a pound if they don't give me one of those paper bags with the metal strip on top...!

- bought the next bag of dog kibble at the store with a celebrate-our-birthday coupon and with our quarterly "rewards" check. Makes this bag about half the price.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Biking down to river, observing various plants in all their stages, identified one new to me edible one, found another edible ripe for the picking, so park my bike, and ate my breakfast standing right there. Food eaten within a few seconds after picking is great medicine! So my May frugal is finding wild edibles that are ready to eat in May!

Yppej
    I have not been frugal but my son has. A check he was waiting on cleared and he got me a belated Mother's Day gift card to a grocery store. I love practical gifts!

I joined MoviePass. It's $10 a month and you can see a movie in theaters each day, you could see 30 movies in a month if you wanted to. I had heard about this but I assumed it would only work at the Regal cinema which only shows the big hits, which are usually not my kind of movie. I found out our theater that shows independent film is included so I signed right up. I can't wait to get the card in the mail and start. A matinee as a break from caregiving will be delightful and I can go to movies with my friends now without spending $12. I've been having low BP issues and falling a lot in public, the indie theater has handicapped parking right in front. Otherwise, you park in the back and have to climb a steep hill. So this should work out well if I can get one of those spots. So it's an expenditure but I think it's a real bargain.

In my attempt to lose weight before my knee replacement surgery, we're in eating in ALOT more these last few months. Amazing how I spend more on groceries though. Plenty of money saved by not going out.

It's my birthday month so we went to Red Robin and I had a Chicken Chibatta sandwich with salad FREE!

I'm stocking up the household supplies to get us to fall. I'm already not a shopper but I won't be driving for a month so quick errands will be on hubby's list after work not mine. Trying to save him as much hassle as possible through July 4 when I get my wheels back.

I got 2 pork shoulders 2w ago for $1.67/pound. Hubby smoked those and we have 2 gallon ziplocs of pulled pork in the freezer.

I got 2 organic whole chickens on Monday. Hubby smoked those Wednesday and we have a pile of pulled chicken for salads and wraps and the rest will go in the freezer today.

I'm making a meatloaf this afternoon-half turkey half beef. We'll have it for dinner and slice the rest for leftovers and/or freezer.

Getting a theme? Lots of cooked protein in the freezer so meal making in June will be "add fresh veggies and done!".

I'm overall happy with our frugality this month! All this savings is going into savings for my co-pay. I think I'll have the cash needed to get the discount offered for paying it in full! More savings!

FS: we love moviepass. We stopped exchanging xmas gifts with most people about 10 years ago. I only buy for 2 people now. The month of Dec we take the kids out to a nice dinner. We took my son and his wife out for b-day dinner last night which was very unfrugal at a cost of $173. However, we all had leftovers except my son who ate all of his.

Yppej
    I got some recipe books from the library to inject some variety into eating at home. Also am not traveling anywhere for the long weekend, though with holiday traffic that is not really a temptation. I got out of work early and painted my steps. Other free household projects like weeding are an attempt to get myself back on track. Also returned some smoke detectors that do not meet code for a refund.

Gardnr: That is so smart to plan and prepare food for your convalescence. I think we would have used it as an excuse for guilt-free takeout! When is your surgery?
    Yppej: Great idea about the cookbooks. We took our mother out recently, and DH got an incredible flatbread with fig jam, arugula, prosciutto, balsamic glaze and burrata cheese. We have since bought all the ingredients so he can try to replicate at home. So at least we squeak a little extra value from a restaurant meal! I think that was a great gift from your son. Gift cards from Market Basket, Trader Joe's and Home Depot are my favorites!
    I'm having a Fri night home alone, so gave myself a pedicure, since it feels like sandals weather today. Should also be warm tomorrow and then will drop about 30 degrees- oh well. When it gets warm again, my toes will be ready!
    I earned $6. doing Pine cone Surveys and $5 doing Bing searches. I'm piling up some of these small rewards and credits to pay for our vacation later this year.
    I had a gift certificate for our local small garden center (another favorite). I went there today and bought the couple of things on my list. They didn't have most of what I wanted, so I restrained myself from random impulse purchases, always hard for me in a garden center - ooh, pretty flowers, beautiful leaves - I want!

Thread Information