Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloating and gas

Bloating and gas

I am not sure what is going on, and 3 weeks into low or no sugar, and i am bloated, have painful embarrassing gas, generally feeling miserable. I started taking gas meds so i could go to work and not stink up the small room with my assistant.

Crappy because i have been running and eating well and i am so bloated my clothes don't fit. I am thinking it is some middle aged female crap,

ZG: You aren't eating sugar, but what are you eating?

Beans, beans, the magical fruit...?

Nothing different for me, this week couscous with squashes and garbanzos, yesterday cheese and bean quesadillas withraw veggies, i stopped for broccoli cheddar soup later, monday was the adult style lunchable (cheese, crackers, cherry tomatoes and olives).

I just googled it and yep, it is a wonderful symptom of perimenopause, sigh

Never experienced that myself when I went ultra-low-carb. But apparently I'm not prone to that anyway. In one of my circles of friends, apparently the wives of those friends hold me up as an example of a husband who does not have to regularly pass gas in front of his wife. I dunno; I don't usually have to pass gas in front of anyone, even me. Maybe I'm just too used to eating a fair amount of fiber.

I know that some of the substances used to sweeten sugar-free foods (like cookies and candies) are sugar alcohols (maltitol, etc.) and those do have increased intestinal gas as a side effect. Or are you eating more fruit to compensate for not eating foods with added sugar?

ETA We posted at the same time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

garbanzo beans can definitely give you gas. In fact, the organic ones I had once were the worst.

If this continues, Zoe, see your GYN. Don't want to scare you, but severe bloating can signal an ovary problem.
    Bloating and Gas are my middle names. I would definitely win a gold medal in the burping Olympics!! I think with perimenopause and menopause, we can lose some muscle function and develop a slow digestion. .....and lose a whole lot of other stuff!

Thanks Cathy, it was extreme. I used to declare I would never wear elastic waist pants like other older women, maybe it is out of my control. I did get back into my regular jeans today, I will check with my gyn after tracking this. I think that going up a size or 2 in clothes due to bloating without changes in diet is significant.

BTW I love garbanzo beans. i already eat beans often so I am not sure I would blame them. However did make turmeric milk last night and bringing quinoa for part of my lunch today and that is super good on the tummy.

I also think that, as we age, our GI tracts are just a bit worn out and can't handle some of the things we've always been able to handle when we were younger.
    I've always had IBS, so I'm guess I'm used to this stuff........well, not exactly.........I still don't like it!

Ugh, IBS, I have been on the verge of getting that diagnosed. I tend to have digestive tract issues. It got sooo much better when I figured out the fructose intolerance. I am really nervous about developing any more digestive issues so I rotate between cow, soy and almond milk, also I don't rely too heavily on other common problem foods like gluten/wheat.

I would miss beans if I couldn't have them,

Your gut biome essentially runs your life, for good or ill. Antibiotics (and other drugs) can wipe it out; everything you eat and drink influences it.

The book I Contain Multitudes, by Ed Yong, tells the fascinating story.

Thread Information