Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May Purge

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think the cost might be even higher for those of us with oil heat systems.
    Contractors have said natural gas is cheaper but ordinary people have told me horror stories about the gas company. At least with oil you have a choice of provider. Gas is a monopoly. I would really like geothermal but am not near a body of water so it would be very expensive I think.

I went through a closet today. It's access has been 1/2 blocked for years by a treadmill. Got rid of it! Craig's List yielded no buyers. Gave it to a woman on my staff who works part time-she has a 3yo so can't go to gym on no-work days. She is thrilled and it is GONE!

I opened that back closet door. I organized all the gift bags that had been tossed back there-I keep gift bags standing in a box for quick visual. i folded all the tissue paper also tossed back there. It is standing in the back of that box. I tossed several hardsided paper cylinders-why was I saving those? Broke down a few boxes and put them in the drawer with other boxes.

Leather briefcase, 5 gallon popcorn container and 1 decorator pillow in my trunk for the next thrift shop stop. Some stuff into the trash bin-can't remember what now. A handful of crumpled paper into the recycle bin.

A bunch of huge (2X-4X) thrift store shirts that were stuffed have been folded and stacked for future use in quilts.

I'm really happy with the way this closet is looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Contractors have said natural gas is cheaper but ordinary people have told me horror stories about the gas company. At least with oil you have a choice of provider. Gas is a monopoly. I would really like geothermal but am not near a body of water so it would be very expensive I think.
    Yppej: I agree with you & we have oil heat too. What I was really trying to say is that people with electrical heat and duct systems can add A/C a lot more easily than those of us with steam or hot water systems because we would need an entirely separate system introduced to our houses. We had considered the Unico system a long time ago, but decided it wasn't worth it for us. We got two window units a couple of years ago and that has been enough to cool our little house, and we don't even use them all that often.

Yppej
    Mine is forced hot air not a boiler system. I don't know if that makes a difference?

I am still hoping to get more years out of the existing furnace. Where I am you definitely can get central heat without central air as a lot of the housing stock is old.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I have been in the use it up fabric mode. I have been making quilt tops from what I have as some of my quilts are getting worn. No new buying of fabric. My stash is really decreasing.

Also, I belong to a group that has some fairly new quilters. Every week I bring a book or a few pieces of fabric in for anyone who wants them or for our charity quilts. What I have left I truly love.

I knit and had a ton of yarn. I donated half of it to the thrift stores because of the space it was taking up. I am not going to buy any until I use it up. Then I will go to thrift stores to buy it. Yesterday I was looking for our small metal dog crate as we are going on a 6 week driving trip next month. I could not find it and in the process of looking I ended up with a trunk full of stuff to donate today. When I woke up this AM I immediately knew where I had put it.

Iris nearly in full bloom here.

I dug 100 iris rhizomes, removing them because they do not spark joy and in fact some of them just annoy me. NO MORE ANNOYING iRIS AROUND HERE is my new guiding principle.

The ugliest ones went to the compost heap. Two batches are offered to neighbors through Nextdoor.

much more dividing and moving iris coming up, this is just the preliminaries.

Yppej
    I chopped down a bush that kept growing into the neighbors' driveway.

NO MORE ANNOYING iRIS AROUND HERE
    Is this going to be your new username Iris Lilies?

Got rid of a number of books today. Some going to friends, a few others went to my church for the library.

Thread Information