Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: May Purge

DD had a clothing swap and she says she's going to take the 5 boxes of clothing left over to the consignment store...yeesh. Really need a purge. I hate to dump it all at Goodwill.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Sold the wrought iron glider swing that has sat on our front porch since we bought the house. Was lovely, gave us a lot of pleasure, but hasn't been used for several years. Also, dd and I both like to watch storms come through and there is no way I felt it was safe for either of us to sit on it while storm-watching. It was a good "let-go".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    More clothes. I discard one item a week and am so far ahead I am into 2019, and I am bringing many fewer new clothes into the house as well. My total expenditure so far in 2018 is less than my average expenditure per month in 2017.

We took a 12,000 btu window air conditioner to the Re-Store yesterday. A relief and major job to remove from the window ( we had central air put in), then into the truck.

Yppej
    Nswef what was the cost to install central air? Is it separate or part of your heating system?

I culled 4 clothing items this weekend. A session with Mom always inspires me to get rid of something!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Nswef what was the cost to install central air? Is it separate or part of your heating system?
    I"m not Nswef but we had to replace ours last year. I don't think AC is separate from heat anymore. $11600 installed with 1 year warranty. Gulp! Thankfully we have a 6 month emergency fund so paid cash. This included duct cleaning/sealing which we knew we needed from a free energy audit a few years ago.

Yppej
    Wow! That is a lot.

Wow! That is a lot.
    I think the cost might be even higher for those of us with oil heat systems.

Wow! That is a lot.
    Yes, it depends on square footage and other factors. We had a national company try to sell us an incredibly large heat/air pump that was really overkill for our 1500 sq ft for $13,000 about 8 years ago. We went with a local guy who did the appropriate size for our house for under $8000 at the time. Make sure to always get several quotes. I could really tell the national guy was working on commission and it got so ridiculous early on that I didn't offer him a drink of water until way after he asked for one. Yes, it was summer, yes our air was out so the house was super hot! Made him sweat and not get his commission.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information