Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do fridge or car magnets count?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

The more important question than whether fridge magnets count is whether socks should be counted individually or in pairs. I personally lean towards individually since everyone's washing machine eats them and it would be silly when one went missing to say "This remaining sock is half of a possession. These two mismatched single socks combined only represent one full possession."
    LOL!! Excellent point.

Thinking more about this I wonder if a better approach altogether would be to quantify one's possessions by weight or volume rather than by number. I mean, geez, to a true minimalist purchasing a new box of paperclips would send their possession count into the stratosphere. But by using the more rational weight or volume method of assessment the new box of paperclips wouldn't have much impact at all except for the most committed of minimalists. Heck, one could even buy the discount multibox pack from amazon and still be golden.

A box of paperclips is 1 thing: paperclips.

It would be like counting the cells in your body.

Alrighty, I have a special small storage container just for paper clips and safety pins.
    Trees don't grow on money

Hallo!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    To anyone with 534 or 537 possessions it certainly doesn't matter. After all, that person is a maximalist. But to someone who would have either 150 or 153 possessions depending on the answer to the question then yes, it would matter a great deal.
    I always thought minimalism was about keeping the things/activities/relationships you need and the things/activities/relationships that add value to your life. And let go of the rest.

If you reduce minimalism just to the number of things someone has, you miss out some great aspects of minimalism. But each as he likes.

But what I would really like to know: How much things are you "allowed" to have as a minimalist? Who set this number, and who allowed him to set the frontier?

I am definitely a minimalist, although I am quite sure I have more than 537 possessions (never counted them). 8 fridge magnets, all holding drawings from the kids. I case someone thinks I am not - what does it matter?

Regards
    Jay

Jay,
    I'm inclined to agree that the number of refrigerator magnets is pretty irrelevant, and I like your definition of minimalism. I do have an overabundance of stuff in some categories, and I find it worthwhile to manage my inventory downward, so to speak.

This is just a fun conversation! Isn't it?

About 20 years ago my Aunt said that when she travels instead of buying souvenirs she buys a refrigerator magnet to remember the trip. I thought what a good idea. Fast forward and now my fridge is covered. On the last trip my DH wanted to buy a magnet and I said no way. We have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Hallo!

I always thought minimalism was about keeping the things/activities/relationships you need and the things/activities/relationships that add value to your life. And let go of the rest.

If you reduce minimalism just to the number of things someone has, you miss out some great aspects of minimalism. But each as he likes.

But what I would really like to know: How much things are you "allowed" to have as a minimalist? Who set this number, and who allowed him to set the frontier?

I am definitely a minimalist, although I am quite sure I have more than 537 possessions (never counted them). 8 fridge magnets, all holding drawings from the kids. I case someone thinks I am not - what does it matter?

Regards
    Jay
    I suppose you're right. Just as I mostly leave it up to any particular category of people to decide how to classify themselves I'll leave it to minimalists to define what makes a minimalist. I'm definitely not one so it's probably not my place to say who is or isn't. Ultralight would probably call me a maximalist since I do still have some things from hobbies long abandoned that I don't especially want to give up. As long as he doesn't call me a hoarder I'm good. (and I don't think I am. We have room for everything we have, and everything we have is either currently used or loved or was heavily used at some point in the past. And we don't acquire much of anything beyond replacement of things that get depleted such as worn out clothes that get donated.)

Thread Information