Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite non NSAID and non tylenol pain pill/cream to take?

Favorite non NSAID and non tylenol pain pill/cream to take?

I have pain 24/7 and I can't take NSAIDS. I take about 3g of tylenol every 24 hours. I know about being careful with that.

I do use Arnica gel for some of my muscles, but I can't tell if it's really working or not.

I haven't investigated CBD oil yet.....but maybe soon.

How about a natural supplement for anxiety too? Any experience with that?
    Thanks!

If aspirin isn't one of the NSAIDs you avoid--I like BC cherry-flavored aspirin and caffeine powder, and I occasionally take Goody's orange-flavored acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine powder, as well. I figure the powder version, taken with liberal amounts of liquid, won't just sit in my digestive tract like an corrosive mini-bomb. Works for me.

Nope, can't take ASA either. It's NSAID too. It's such a bummer to not be able to take an NSAID. Every once in awhile, I can take 1/4 of an aleve in a week and do okay......but no more, and no more for several weeks. My GI tract was destroyed by NSAIDS and antibiotics. Your comment about taking liberal amounts of liquid got my attention. With most meds, I probably don't take nearly enough water with it.......especially with a sluggish esophagus.......so drinking lots more water with meds is something I'll definitely start doing. Thanks for reminding me!

CBD oil is supposed to help with anxiety too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    CBD oil is supposed to help with anxiety too.
    The trick is finding the right brand/dose, since CBD isn't standardized. In states where cannabis is legal, medical dispensaries can steer people to the the right brand of CBD, or combination of CBD and THC, but even there, it's a process of trial and error.

Yes, trial and error. I am not finding my sweet spot with CBD but willing to keep trying. I have found magnesium (many forms of it) to be helpful with muscle aches, restless legs and sleep. It is one of the few supplements I know is working and can feel when it kicks in.

I've taken magnesium for a long time, but have trouble with it causing diarrhea, no matter what form I try. I take it mostly for irregular heartbeats, but I've never felt that it helped with my muscle pain. What type do you use Simplemind? I was on mag citrate for a long time, not realizing it was causing diarrhea (since I have IBS), so switched to mag maleate, mag chelate and some others......but they all seem to cause some degree of diarrhea.
    I feel like I'm wired really weirdly. When I was young and smoked marijuana, I had some very bizarre reactions to it, while everyone around me was having a blast. So I'm almost afraid to try the CBD oil.......even though I know it doesn't have the psychotropic properties to it.

I'm just trying to avoid the brain meds like SSRIs. My muscles hurt everywhere, but I'm hoping to find some relief with more natural stuff. Everybody is so different. One thing might work great for one person, but do unpleasant things or not work at all for others. Yes, it is a lot of trial and error, unfortunately.

Magnesium relaxes muscles, and is used as a laxative for that reason.

There is a topical anti-inflammatory called Voltarin. I've used it on myself (worked on minor pain) and the vet version on my horse (he had no comment). It's Rx but OTC in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've taken magnesium for a long time, but have trouble with it causing diarrhea, no matter what form I try. I take it mostly for irregular heartbeats, but I've never felt that it helped with my muscle pain. What type do you use Simplemind? I was on mag citrate for a long time, not realizing it was causing diarrhea (since I have IBS), so switched to mag maleate, mag chelate and some others......but they all seem to cause some degree of diarrhea.
    I feel like I'm wired really weirdly. When I was young and smoked marijuana, I had some very bizarre reactions to it, while everyone around me was having a blast. So I'm almost afraid to try the CBD oil.......even though I know it doesn't have the psychotropic properties to it.

I'm just trying to avoid the brain meds like SSRIs. My muscles hurt everywhere, but I'm hoping to find some relief with more natural stuff. Everybody is so different. One thing might work great for one person, but do unpleasant things or not work at all for others. Yes, it is a lot of trial and error, unfortunately.
    Cathy,

I take CALM, a powdered magnesium supplement. The dosage that works for me is 1 teaspoon in the morning and 1 teaspoon in the evening. For pain, have you tried Arnica Montana homeopathic pellets (30x)? Supposedly, this does not interfere with any meds. Also, take Mag/Phos homeopathic pellets for irregular heartbeat on occasion.

Thread Information