Thread: major change to summer programming

major change to summer programming

So I got the word today that my summer program is cancelled and students moved other locations. I am frustrated, I just got the list of who the summer tutoring program had and compared to my list and they did not match up, so I think we had many more than they said. I sent over a spread sheet showing what I had but now the one I sent does not seem complete. I tried to put it together in less than a day. I cannot figure out why my list does not match up,

I have been doing my best to contact families and I have not called every one. I was making my other tasks and deadlines a priority like I should. I got several this week who said they had received the flyers multiple times but had not responded, so now they wanted the program. That isn't my fault however.

Mostly I am frustrated because I had a check in with my supervisor and he literally said 4 times 'what have you done' and 'you are responsible', I answered each time and he repeated himself. Then he said it didn't count unless I wrote it down, I had my notes at the office and could send them over that day. The major advertising was done by the tutoring program, and I did some support, however I said I was ready to let things be however it worked out when I got this big push and feeling that I had not done a good enough job from him. I ended almost in tears and telling him he could document that I had not done enough if he needed to. I had been fine going into the meeting, then I got very stressed.

Sigh, so I don't know what site I will be at or what work I will be doing after all. I was really looking forward to my shorter work day over the summer.

I'm surprised your program got cancelled. At our local community center they basically kick the seniors out for the summer in order to use the space for school-age kids programs. (seniors retain use of one main open space/cafeteria but that's it).
    Seems like most parents would be scrambling to find summer coverage - is the cost too much? or are there just fewer kids in that area?

I am guessing the issue is that the parents did not sign up in a timely fashion so they didn't think it was needed. I can't imagine there not being a need for summer care for kids.

I am at peace with it. I am going to float and cover vacations. I am learning to take a major step back in responsibility and hopefully stress level. My families waited too long and the tutoring program used some ineffective marketing methods, but still they were well in their learning curve. A lot of this was because my community is gentrifying and more families need 6:30-6 instead of 8-4, and can pay. Our students are being routed to another program close by so I passed on the information to those guys today, one of which I have trained before.

So a lot of groundlessness this summer with renting a room, putting things in storage, floating sites for programming, but really okay with it. I hope to remember this when I have my challenging episodes.

Thread Information