Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about "Dexter Donuts?"

What about "Dexter Donuts?"

Another thrilling minimalist question!

Do "Dexter Donuts" count?

If you don't know what Dexter Donuts are, they are things you take to work and/or put in your cubicle/office to make you appear likable and/or normative.

In the show Dexter he would take donuts into the office. This way he endeared himself to others and they would not know he was a super-hero/serial killer. haha

At my office I have:

Pictures: Me fishing, me fishing with my dad, me canoeing with friends, me at various travel destinations, me with my current ladyfriend, my ladyfriend.

Magnets: flags of nations I traveled to, an Orioles magnet, a Thoreau magnet

Art: A print picture of James Thurber and his prose, a mug with Kurt Vonnegut drawings/pics/quotes

Misc: I have a few pics of well-known folks and their quotes outside my cube (Neil DeGrasse Tyson, William F. Buckley, Jr., Elon Musk, Maggie Thatcher).

Should these items count as my possessions? They never leave work. Most are 2 dimensional.

I think it's cheating for a minimalist to not count personal items not currently residing in the home. It's like not counting the items hidden away in storage.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's cheating for a minimalist to not count personal items not currently residing in the home. It's like not counting the items hidden away in storage.
    +1
    And your lying to yourself by calling objects such as those 2d.

But I don't consider my work self to really be my real self. At work I am just a pretender, a zombie, an actor.

Everything counts 😄

Everything counts, if you county every thing

My work stuff never came home with me when I retired. I gave it all away. I find it odd that you are not your real self at work. Totally different for me.

I never felt a need to decorate my cubicle with artifacts of a fake persona; I just let my freak flag fly, as they say. I doubt anyone cared.

If I had been my real self at work, I probably would have been burned at the stake :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    +1
    And your lying to yourself by calling objects such as those 2d.
    Well, kinda. But kinda not.

At work I used to urge my employees to decorate their cubes as much as they liked with two dimensional objects that could be pinned to walls but to keep the 3 dimensional crap off of their work surfaces. Even tho photos and paper have a very thin 3rd dimension, it is barely there.

Thread Information