Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about "Dexter Donuts?"

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If I had been my real self at work, I probably would have been burned at the stake :-)
    Amen, brother!

I tone it way down. I know I could not pretend to be totally normative. So I act about half-normative and half-harmlessly quirky. haha

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I never felt a need to decorate my cubicle with artifacts of a fake persona; I just let my freak flag fly, as they say. I doubt anyone cared.
    It is different when you're a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I gave it all away. I find it odd that you are not your real self at work. Totally different for me.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    It is different when you're a guy.
    I don't know; we had all different kinds of guys.

Unless you work in a fraternity house atmosphere, or in management or sales, once you're an adult, you can pretty much be what you want. I certainly wouldn't want to work in a "normative" atmosphere--I'm not sure I even know what that means. (Clearly, luck was on my side!)

I don't know; we had all different kinds of guys.

Unless you work in a fraternity house atmosphere, or in management or sales, once you're an adult, you can pretty much be what you want.
    No, you don't get it.

If a woman is weird or quirky or an oddball or socially awkward then she might be annoying to people. That is all.

But if you are a guy and you are weird or quirky or an oddball or socially awkward then you might be considered creepy or even scary. And this can be lethal to your career. I mean lethal.

So for men it is important to appear at least halfway normative.

You're right; I don't get it. I'm glad of that.
    "Weird or quirky or an oddball or socially awkward" pretty much is the default among techies up here.

No Dexter Donuts in my office because we don't have assigned desks. I suppose people could store them in lockers and bring them out every day but that would definitely turn them into countable possessions.

You're right; I don't get it. I'm glad of that.
    "Weird or quirky or an oddball or socially awkward" pretty much is the default among techies up here.
    I worked with techies most of my career. I was/perhaps-still-am outside the envelope of the accepted norm, if unveiled. For instance, I have too many chromosomes, and odd interests....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I worked with techies most of my career. I was/perhaps-still-am outside the envelope of the accepted norm, if unveiled. For instance, I have too many chromosomes, and odd interests....

Wait Bae, with your "hillbilly" upbringing, wouldn't that be too few chromosomes?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Wait Bae, with your "hillbilly" upbringing, wouldn't that be too few chromosomes?
    No. I have an extra Y chromosome in most of my cells. And I have physical results of this that are....confusing... to binary-oriented medical practitioners. I am transhuman.

Thread Information