Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies: purging closet questions

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Since I've gained wt over the years, my feet are 1/2 a size larger. I have to go through all my shoes and get rid of the ones that no longer fit because I don't think your feet go back to being smaller when you lose wt. They are longer now, not wider or anything. So those shoes have got to go. I have an amazing shoe holder that goes on the back of my closet door and it holds 32 pairs. It's full.
    That is such a hard one for me! I love shoes, boots, sandals, etc.
    In college I wore an 8 and mom and I shoe shopped every time I went home or she came to visit. Pregnancy brought on a 1/2 inch increase that I never lost so I had to get rid of probably 60 pair. Then weight gain and another 1/2 then the broken ankle somehow affected shoe size and another 1/2-1 increase. Boots I have to get 10 in now and everything else 9 1/2. Sigh. That is too big for my almost 5'4.5" height. I trip over my own feet all the time. I wear boots some but they just look gigantic on me. I have much less shoes, boots, sandals now because I wonder if they are like noses and ears and just keep growing as you age.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

getting rid of 60 pair all at once would break my heart!

Yppej
    Feet flatten and thus expand with age, or so I read. It hasn't happened to me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I have way too many clothes. I have one tall, narrow armoire that is filled just with PJs. I try to cull this, but I actually wear them all. Many soft old John Prine, Leonard Cohen, etc., t shirts filled with memories. Then I have a dresser with two drawers for pants, 3 for shirts, one for leggings and sweats. I have a decent sized closet with all of my tops, which I tend to accumulate because I wear tunics to try to hide my belly so when i see cute ones on sale I snap them up. I have a few dresses/skirts. Then I have a bin for underwear/bras and two for socks (I have a lot of these so I can go a long time between doing laundry as laundry is hard for me). Then I have stored in two under the bed bags, clothes that are one size down as I am trying to lose wt and I blew through that size, the stuff is like new.

The problem is I've never dealt with my work clothes. They were business casual so they still fit into my life. They are one size down so should be stored away with the other stuff but for some reason, I can't take them out of my main closet and they take up half the closet. It feels like admitting defeat to pack them away, even though they don't fit. It's crazy!

Since I've gained wt over the years, my feet are 1/2 a size larger. I have to go through all my shoes and get rid of the ones that no longer fit because I don't think your feet go back to being smaller when you lose wt. They are longer now, not wider or anything. So those shoes have got to go. I have an amazing shoe holder that goes on the back of my closet door and it holds 32 pairs. It's full.

I'm currently on a diet with a goal to lose 20 lbs in 6 mos. That should bring me to the one size down clothes. But I sort of feel bad because I've been this size a long time and I have a LOT in this size. I know this sounds stupid but I like these clothes. I have a rule that I ever pay more than $20 for an item unless it's for a dress or a winter coat but still, fiscally it adds up. I'm not working, I did not need all these outfits.

oh, this is a loaded topic for me!
    Where do you buy tunics that are flattering?

Macy's online and Lands End come to mind. Macy's has so many more than they have in their store

I feel like I mastered this when I moved to New Mexico - I have no closet, but one of those 3 ft. long cheapo garment racks at the end of my bed against the wall. If I squish all the clothes together hanging there (includes one bulky winter sheepskin jacket), it takes up about 15". FIFTEEN inches! I have a wooden bookshelf with three shelves that I brought from Michigan that has three plastic (but nice-looking bins) that hold underwear, then socks, and the third one holds a bathing suit, bras, and bandanas. The rest of the shelf has leggings and sleepwear. The middle shelf I keep my folded shirts (switched now to summer stuff) and shorts (I think I winnowed it down to 8 pairs) and two pairs of jeans. The bottom shelf holds my seven pairs of footwear (I also have one pair flip-flops and slippers that get kicked around).

I did have to buy an under-the-bed storage box that holds off-season shirts, a sweater and my extra sheets. And I employ the use of hooks on the backs of two doors to hold denim jackets, a fleece jacket, some scarves, some head wraps and a belt (I only have two belts). Oh, and I have a little cross body bag I use sometimes.

I STILL have stuff I don't really wear, and have recently purged some things over to the town's Free Box. I need to go through again and get rid of things I don't feel right in, especially since I am gaining weight and my shape is changing (dang menopause.....). Losing the figure that I got used to having during the Wholefoods years is a bitter pill to swallow. That's fodder for another thread....

My clothes fit in about 3' of closet space (SiouxQ--15" is truly admirable!!) and 5 dresser drawers (1 for jewelry and accessories; 1 for socks/lingerie; 1 for hanging around sloppy clothes; 2 for seasonal tops.

I'm going through a purge as I pull out the few things I'll bring up North for the summer. I expect that will comprise of
    3 casual pants, nice enough to go pretty much anywhere
    2 pair yoga pants
    1 pair overalls
    4 T-shirts
    3 sweaters
    3 sweatshirts
    1 pair sneakers
    3 pairs flats
    1 pair hiking boots
    bathing suit with coverup

For work I'll have to bring
    2 blazers
    2 shirts
    2 nice sweaters
    1 pair black trousers
    2 black/black check skirts
    1 dress
    1 nice pair of shoes

1 pair PJs
    1 bathrobe
    1 rain jacket
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have never liked shoes. I own only 5 pairs. I don't need boots in our climate. When it snows it usually melts by noon when the sun is out. I only like to do laundry every 3 weeks so have enough clothes for that. My feet were a size 8 and I am 5'7". Now my feet are a 10. Every kid put me a half size up and then gaining weight did the last jump. My feet are now wide too.

I purge every spring and fall. Since I’ve retired I have gotten rid of most of my work clothes. Since church has turned casual I’ve gotten rid of dress church clothes. I kept a few skirts (from 17 down to 3) and tops for weddings and funerals but those are casual now too. My winter ‘uniform’ is jeans and sweatshirts and my summer ‘uniform’ is shorts and tee shirts. Paring down every year, don’t really need much. I was in a store a couple of decades ago when the greeter was giving out coupons for clothes. An elderly lady looked at the coupon and said ‘clothes? I don’t need any clothes? I’m there now.

I just got finished doing a major closet purge and ran into that issue the first time. I found that storing my seasonal items away in a sealed tote was the biggest help to me. I cut down my winter jackets from 5 to 2, got rid of anything in-season I hadn't worn or even thought about wearing in three months, and tossed the things I was holding onto for sentimental value..except my wedding dress. I gave everything salvagable to Goodwill and threw away the nasties. Good luck on your closet purge!

Thread Information