Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The thing about my todo list is that it has been largely purged of “shoulds” but is still over full of “musts” and “want tos” (“must” get gas on the way to work, “ want to” finish 13 plates for saturday’s sale...)
    Your "want tos" are just "shoulds" with a slightly-more-permissive name. You may "want to" finish 13 plates but is there a minimum number of plates you "must" finish? If there is, then that number of plates are a "big rock" and they need time allocated in your schedule. Otherwise plates (some or all of them) wait until the need for them increases or they float toward the bottom of the list as a "want to".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

No, “should” is a thing that carries a perceived consequence imposes by external judgement: “I should wash the dishes.” (Why? Because it is socially unacceptable to have a sink full of dirty dishes)
    “need” (must) carries a natural consequence “I need to wash some dishes” (why? Because I am thirsty and have nothing clean to drink from. because the dishes have become an environmental hazard.)
    “want” is totally internally driven and generally carries a reward or sense of satisfaction rather than a consequence or judgement “I want to wash the dishes” (why? Because I enjoy having clean dishes and an empty sink? Possibly because I enjoy the act of washing dishes? Usually because I don’t want it to become a need at a bad time, which is more of a need thing really.)

I like making the plates. I like selling the plates. Nobody cares but me.

The way you described making plates, CL, did not differentiate between the interest in making a number of them because it was a need, a joy, or an external expectation. But that's semantics. Gotta get to the needs first, even if those needs are not always internally imposed.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It was just meant to be an example of a want, not the semantic deconstruction I followed up with.

and yes, needs first, wants second, and learning to let people own their own shoulds - not my problem. I have enough trouble differentiating needs and wants (can one argue that getting some of one’s wants is a need?) mostly I start with “will anyone/anything die if I do/do not do this?”

This made me think about a conversation recently when I was talking about something exciting to me like Maker Faire, The person I was talking to got excited with me. I asked if she had heard of it or if she was a maker. She said no but my energy was enough to get her excited.

So when we have a little bit of that time and energy it can really affect ourselves and others positively.

So, that started out well enough, then dh took me out to dinne4 and I haven’t even thought about the sale.

i’m not Ready for my classes tomorrow, and i’m Tired.

My ”big rocks” btw refer more to things that take a big chunk of time, rather than things that are top priority. I know that is different from the big rocks in the well known speech.

So classes actually went off well today.

i am currently “tutoring”, but tutoree needed a bathroom break.

i want very badly to set up for my show tonight, but I need to take the ducks home. I will clean out the car, price and pack, and have everything loaded so I can leave early tomorrow and hopefully do a quick set up. I am not putting up a backdrop this time. It looks much nicer, but it takes a significant amount of time and an extra trip to the car. I have a good location, and that will need to be enough.

i just got handed a new large project at work.

So, as posted in another thread, I made it through the show. And dinner and a concert after with dh without even falling asleep. But I got home and did chores at midnight. And this morning i slept until 9. I wanted to spend mother’s day (when I get to do whatever I want and everybody has to go along/leave me alone - family tradition) planting things. But by the time I got up, it was already hot - we went straight from winter to summer! And I was still dragging and tired. So I decided to listen to my body and spend the day relaxing. I unpacked from the sale, did my chores, ran a load of laundry and a load of dishes, read, and watched some videos.

tomorrow - big rock: food bank.
    more laundry, more dishes, maybe planting, maybe work in my home pottery studio, some planning for the next two weeks (school is done in 13 days and I leave to visit my son!)
    Last edited by Chicken lady; 5-14-18 at 5:17am.

I have been contemplating a “rating system” for my time rocks.
    i - important (to me or to someone who is important to me)
    u - urgent (must be done right away or there will be a consequence i find unacceptable ie. get gas when down to my last gallon)
    m- mandatory (I am required to do this ie. make car payment, write class evaluations)
    t - time sensitive (the opportunity to do this will pass ie. Pottery sale)
    r - routine (things I do that are not intrinsically very important but that avoid creating urgency ie. Wash clothes or dishes)

so far today I have covered:
    make breakfast, pack lunch (it)
    chores (tr) and start laundry (r)
    work at food bank (it)

i have no u or m items today, so my goal is to not fill my time with rs instead of is.

I get that your job is your hobby because teaching my one class is mine. I laughed when I saw your rating system which takes time to document)

Thread Information