Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time

Well, I don’t intend to record all of it! Just sharing my thought process for conversational purposes.

I was being silly

Ok, today’s plan (the ***** indicate current location):
    Make breakfast
    pack lunch
    make rice pudding
    unload dishwasher
    *****eat
    chores
    load and start dishwasher
    start load of laundry
    mail check
    work outside (on ?)
    pick cherries
    evaluations
    more laundry/dishes
    work in studio

dh will not be home for dinner tonight.

Maybe a few nights a week buy prepared food at the deli/grocery store so all you have to do is heat it up for him.

Why? He can buy his own prepared food on the way home - already hot - and get exactly what he wants with no time and energy on my part and less net driving.

From that list, “work outside” and “studio” were very brief. I ended up picking rhubarb as well as cherries and chopping it up. It took a while. I froze three pies worth.

evaluations have been wearing me down, but I am down to six and plan to finish them today.

There was an article in the New York Times about quitting. It included the line : “It’s better to just start the things that you know you have the resources to finish”

lately i I have been feeling like I have very few resources. I have been trying to focus on “the things that are already here.” For example, my garden got completely out of control. I have a poison ivy problem. Rather than trying to carve the space back and plant spring seeds, I have begun tethering goats to the fence to eat the weeds and poison ivy and building a deep manure mulch on top of cardboard - I have a pottery studio full of cardboard and a barn that needs to be cleaned out - in the hope that next year this will be less of a challenge. Perhaps I will even plant something in the fall.

i currently have cherries and rhubarb. So I am making a point to pick them and use them. There is no point to planting more food if I am not using the food I already have.

i have a bunch of physiological symptoms going on that I was pretty sure were manifestations of my old friend depression, but had started to think might be primarily physical. Some of them went away when I went to Wisconsin. Then they came back. So, I need to focus on the physical causes of the ones that didn’t change, and I need to figure out what I need to change about my life. Moving in with my son is not an option, so I need a different environmental approach to the depressive symptoms.

i’m pretty sure that walking 5 miles, a lot of it outside in the sun, the first day we were there helped a lot.

today, I am going to make pie. And dinner (but it will be pasta)
    finish my evaluations
    run the dishwasher once
    and work outside

i remember how good I felt when I weeded ds’s flowerbed in 20 minutes (it helps that he has soil and not clay and you can pull the weeds and the roots just come out!) I am going to try to spend 20 minutes on my flowerbed. It won’t look like his, but whatever part I finish will be close enough.

CL, Close enough is a good thing. Your idea for the lost garden is inspired! cardboard used up, manure used up, new space for planting next year is a win all around!!! Once you finish the evaluations you will feel accomplished as well. Sometimes it helps to have blinders on in the yard and just fix the area you can fix. You WILL figure it out.

I would focus on enjoying your farm and time off this summer and accomplish what you can without pressuring yourself.

yes, enjoy your time off! That is part of Time and time management as well.

So it has been a week, and here is a bit of an update.
    i got the evaluations done.
    the cherries are over. I have enough for a pie frozen.
    the rhubarb is still going and I have one pie in the fridge and enough for 4 frozen.
    yesterday I made ice cream (milk and eggs)
    i also baked bread. Because I like homemade bread.

my heartdaughter came to visit and brought me a bag of books on loan. I am trying not to spend too much time reading them. I am thinking about setting aside time in the afternoons to read them on the exercise bike.
    i have been spending time in the mornings reading and journaling.

the goats are making progress on the weeds.
    i ordered a whetstone for my scythe.
    i learned how to drive the lawn tractor (don’t laugh, It only took my five minutes, but I needed instruction, it was not intuitive and the gas guage is broken.)

everything takes longer than than I think it should, but last night we had homemade bread and soup for dinner and the kitchen isn’t very messy.

i’m going To start with barn and garden this morning, move into the studio when it gets hot, and quit in time to maybe ride the bike, definitely take a shower, and go to the post office and farmer’s market before helping at the food bank. I’m making pasta salad early and leaving it in the fridge for dinner.

Thread Information