Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time

I, too started to learn to drive the riding mower last week. I needed a lesson.After the lesson I decided I wont be driving the riding mower, I hate it. Our property is on a big hill and I just do not feel,confident driving that thing. It feels like I will fall over.

This has some unpleasant consequences since it means I will rely sometimes on DH to drive buckets of mulch down the hill, and that means we have to work together and coordinate our time. That will not go well!

So, I realized that one of the reasons I keep losing garden areas is because I rely on dh to mow. He mows what he thinks is important. Aside from a small strip of “lawn” around the house, most of what he mows is area I would brush hog once a year. He does not mow paths to vegetable/fruit gardening areas, the greenhouse, or around the garden fence. When I mulch beds, rather than driving on the wide strip of mulch around the plants and thereby cutting all grass and weeds beyond the edge of the mulch, he keeps space between the bed and mower. So I gave a 8-10” strip of talk grass and weeds along every bed. No matter how many times I explain the procedure I would prefer, he says “i’m afraid you’re going to be mad at me if I mow your plants” and continues to do it his way. He also stays back from the edge of the woods - allowing a band of grass, weeds, and poison ivy to establish itself.

he also waits too long to start mowing in the spring because the grass grows more slowly that the weeds I want to mow to control.

i have been trying to maintain paths and edges with my scythe, but it is too much for me by mid-summer. So now, I am going to cut my paths with my scythe and maintain them with the mower.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I, too started to learn to drive the riding mower last week. I needed a lesson.After the lesson I decided I wont be driving the riding mower, I hate it. Our property is on a big hill and I just do not feel,confident driving that thing. It feels like I will fall over.

This has some unpleasant consequences since it means I will rely sometimes on DH to drive buckets of mulch down the hill, and that means we have to work together and coordinate our time. That will not go well!

This reminded me of a few years ago I was at home visiting my parents on the farm and offered to help dad mow. It's also a big hill. I took one of the riding mowers (he has 4) and started on the front which is a big hill. I quickly learned that the mower I took had no breaks!!! One of the wildest rides of my life (I've had several) on the farm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Riding mowers and I dont get along. Last year I "mowed" about a half acre before dh pointed out the blade was not engaged. Later that same season, I mowed over a heavy extension cord - which resulted in a breaker blowing, huge arcs first, and a big whip mark on my leg where the jerked free cord hit me. Dh thought I electrocuted myself the way I jumped off!

CL, you are making great progress. FO, that sounds scary. I love our Astro-turf no mowing needed. However, I love real grass more so if I lived where it rained we would definitely have it.

So, I think I may have pendulumed a little too far toward manic this morning.
    i did my chores.
    i did a load of laundry and a load of dishes
    i made an appointment to meet with a shop owner on Wednesday about selling pottery.
    i cut up the ingredients for dinner
    i invited a friend over for next Monday
    i drove to a nearby town and replenished my veterinary supplies
    while I was there I went to the thrift store and got 5 pairs of jeans (needed new jeans for fall) and 3 games for my classroom - total $23
    I also got groceries.
    i put away the groceries but not the cooler, jeans (need washed) or games

and I accepted the unpaid role of recycling assistance program coordinator at work on the condition that I could have an after school club (I get paid like it’s a class, the kids pay to participate, a “club” is just unevaluated and wider in age range) focused on resource use and conservation. The administration countered with two clubs (g1-6 and g7-12) on two different days, and I accepted and have to turn in discriptions for their announcement on Wednesday.

i am exhausted. I still have to cook the dinner and do evening chores. And probably shower.

Thread Information