Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How did you get interested in your hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, well done. You have won in so many ways - the prize for the entries but more important, IMO, you entered to give some life to the competition , demonstrated artistic effort in your own unique way inspiring others and simply giving enjoyment to those who attended the viewing. i always appreciate the participants showing the multiple dimensions of any competition.
    Thanks for that! Our big iris show is often on Mother’s Day which is super crowded at the Botanical gardens, so it is fun to have such a big crowd view your works.

Congratulations, IL! It's always good to see passion and skill recognized and rewarded!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    One aspect I've been thinking about is how a hobby can be a shared interest for a couple. I'm remembering a poet, Donald Hall, who talked about how couples need that "third thing" to focus on (I'm paraphrasing). Basically, you have each other, and you have work, but it helps to have that other interest/passion.
    I know for some couples it's their pet, others it's a shared love of the outdoors, others love cooking, some are active in their church, etc. For some it's raising their children but when the children leave the nest it leaves a big void which can become a big strain on their relationship.
    So I've been pondering that myself and will be exploring that more. Right now it seems one of our regularly shared interests is going to matinees in mid-week with the other retirees :-)
    I have been gardening for decades, and DH has been gardening since he was a child. It is a strong mutual interest of ours. So great, right? It keeps us together. Hahaha not always. This has led to us fighting (or, ahem, “negotiating”) for every square foot of ground on our properties.

But really, gardening is such as big discipline that there is room within it to pursue sub topics (ornamentals vs vegetables, houseplants vs outdoor plants, specific genus vs wide variety of plants) that we can share an interest yet have our own sub specialty. At theend of a summer day DH will often come by “my” garden areas to see what I accomplished that day or what flowers opened, and I will go by his areas to see what is growing well and what he is doing. So we are separate, but still shari g.

I am in agreement with that "third thing" concept. DH & I share a love of gardening and nature and our pets.
    Congratulations, IL!

Congrats IL!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Honestly, my favorite hobbies are those that make me money! Doing surveys. selling used books online, tutoring, doing the odd voiceover gig, searching for rebates, etc. Every once in awhile I'll do something crafty, like woodburning, beading, painting, baking, etc., but I do that far less often than I work on my multitude of "side hustles"!

I have loved knitting and tapestry work since I was a child. My Mum was a great knitter, ditto my two Grannies. Dad’s Mum was a highlander who knitted the most wonderful FairIsle patterned sweaters, cardigans, tammies, scarves and gloves for all the grandchidren. All the patterns were memorised, none written down. I still do my tapestry projects but have had to give up knitting because of arthritis.

Genealogy and history. Have traced my family lines back to the 1500s but having hit a wall, I haven’t done much for 5 years or so.

Gardening. Nowadays I call myself Head Gardener and my husband plants what I want, where I want it planted! The garden is now getting too big for him to manage and we employ a gardener for a few hours each week.

Visiting National Trust properties all over the UK.

Cooking. I’ve taken lots of courses all over Europe, some with Michelin-starred chefs. I first got interested as a teenager and managed to take a 6 week, intensive course at Cordon Bleu cookery school in Paris when I was 19. You should see my knife skills!

When we lived in WI people never made much off their crafts. A friend of mine quit doing it for that reason. My Mom kept doing it because she was retired and it was fun for her.

I really couldn't say other than I'm a Christmas fan. I'm 72 and have collected snow globes as long as I can remember (6 or 7?).
    At first any globe would do and I had to use a large spare room to display them. Through the years I condensed and sold many except for went for rare, hard to find and old ones. My oldest and prized globe is from the 1880's with an oyster and pearl, a seahorse, seaweed and tiny stones.

Welcome Circa1948. Your oldest and prized globe sounds beautiful!

Thread Information