Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you get interested in your hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I’m on a multi year adventure watching all of the Star Trek canon in historical order. I’m loving it. 
    No! Well, thatbis i teresting.
    Our Hermann house has very limited channels on tv and it seems to broadcast Star Trek all the time. DH is liking that.

There are sooooooo many things in this life to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Permaculture: I was pulled like a magnet to permaculture in 2009/2010, when I saw a course listing for Permaculture Design Certificates in a catalog I get from a New York center for holistic studies. I subscribe to their catalogs, so every year for 3 years, I saw the same listing, and then I couldn't fight the urge anymore. I finally bit the bullet. It was expensive, but I decided that I really wanted to take the 11-week course. (BTW, I just came across the best definition for permaculture I've seen: Permaculture is a system of agricultural and social design principles centered around simulating or directly utilizing the patterns and features observed in natural ecosystems.). I still love practicing and learning about permaculture, and the main reason I took the Master Gardener class this year was simply to give me a chance to expand on that aspect of permaculture--to get my hands in the dirt so to speak. I think following permaculture principles will be essential in the future in order to manage the stressors we've placed on the planet.
    I'd love to take some permaculture courses. I probably know just enough to cause problems and I'm cheap so I'm a DIY kind of girl. A lot of projects I learn the proper way after I've already done it. And I love that defination. I'm going to have to write it in my bullet journal! I've been watching a lot of the central texas garden series on youtube and learning a lot. though I'm 2 states up and 4 seasons my glade is much like their focus.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'd love to take some permaculture courses. I probably know just enough to cause problems and I'm cheap so I'm a DIY kind of girl. A lot of projects I learn the proper way after I've already done it. And I love that defination. I'm going to have to write it in my bullet journal! I've been watching a lot of the central texas garden series on youtube and learning a lot. though I'm 2 states up and 4 seasons my glade is much like their focus.
    Float On, If you are a DIY learner, I recommend Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway. Great informative, passionately and clearly written book about everyday permaculture. I've read several books on permaculture, and Gaia's Garden is the best. Unfortunately the author died just last year, but his work will live on.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No! Well, thatbis i teresting.
    Our Hermann house has very limited channels on tv and it seems to broadcast Star Trek all the time. DH is liking that.
    I have been getting back into running, I really want the t-shirt that says "red shirt running team, probably not going to make it"

I have always been good with plants. People gave me dying ones and I was always able to revive them. I got into small container gardening with my first home and expanded when I married for the second time and suddenly had lots of property. I got my young son involved and had him grow veggies for our local food bank. He loved picking, washing and putting the boxes together. He did it for years and I kept putting in more and more. My husband and I now deliver Meals on Wheels and give our produce to our clients.
    I have always been interested in art and design and was always in some type of art class. I picked up watercolor (which I had never liked) a few years ago from a gal who had a style that drew my attention. It is a brain cramp for me which is why I continue it. I bring it into my volunteer work by painting cards for my clients. It kind of started as a light hearted thing and has really grown. I have a few clients that keep every card I give them and some frame them. I can't even think about missing a season, holiday or birthday occasion........ Have been into photography since HS so I'm also using that for painting inspiration as well as photos to go with my travel writing.
    Started getting into landscape design with my love of art, design and gardening. I painted a picture of my dream front yard (a difficult triangle shape where grass never grew and previous designs never looked right) and found a contractor who didn't think I was crazy and was willing to do the heavy stuff. I now have a great koi pond in my front yard with a path over it to the front door. Designed with Japanese garden elements and a total surprise because from the road you can't see it. I've received a couple of job offers from that. I've got a couple of neighbors that have walked down with friends to see it. This property is my Winchester House..... I'm just going to keep installing different areas until they scatter my ashes out in the daffodils.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Float On, If you are a DIY learner, I recommend Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway. Great informative, passionately and clearly written book about everyday permaculture. I've read several books on permaculture, and Gaia's Garden is the best. Unfortunately the author died just last year, but his work will live on.
    Thanks Catherine, I use to check that out from the library but never bought my own copy....I should.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I used to love to do many things but now appreciate doing things that don't require a lot of followup. Gardening used to be fun but now I HURT after bending, etc. and the plants die when we go on vacation. So, I am more into the Farmer's Market now. When I first retired I learned to play MahJongg. It is a difficult game and changes every year so it does not get old. I think it took me about a year to get good and fast at playing. It makes me think in a way that I normally would not and that is why I enjoy it. I can play with people or actually play the game with or without people on line. I also LOVE to read (as many here) and am always studying something new. Travel has always been a passion!

I am enjoying reading about others interests too!

I've been pondering this one since it was posted, such a cool topic!
    I've had an abundance of hobbies/interests/enthusiasms over the years, but I'm going to focus on the ones that are with me currently. However, I do need to at least mention that I was a passionate rock, shell and spoon collector as a kid. As a little girl, I loved nothing better than to break open rocks with my little pick-axe to see what was inside! Oh, and birds! My second grade teacher used to brag about the time she asked what you call someone who studies birds, and I answered ornithologist and could spell it too. I asked for a bird feeder and suet and seeds for my birthday when I was 6 or 7, and I got the whole family hooked on something quite delightful. That passion is still with me and I've passed it along to DH.
    Reading - the adults in my family all enjoyed reading, so I guess I got this one by osmosis. I was the tiny little girl with glasses reading her book as she walked to school (long before everyone was looking down at something while they were walking along, haha). A favorite memory was going to the Boston Globe Book Festival as a kid. I spent the whole time reading a hardcover MAD magazine compilation I had stumbled upon. (MAD magazine played a huge part in shaping my character, it was like my third parent). At the end of the show, the vendor asked me if I would like to have the book. "Really? No kidding? YES!! Thank you!!"
    Gardening - I was surrounded by surrogate grandparents on the street where I grew up, and a couple of my grandmothers were gardeners. One in particular used to give me tiny cosmos and sedum and feverfew to transplant in my backyard, and I think she was my earliest major influence. Many years later when we bought our home, I wanted a garden, but realized I was lacking in knowledge and skills. We started taking classes at the Arnold Arboretum (DH and me). We became reasonably knowledgeable amateurs, and this became a great shared hobby and passion for the 2 of us. Gardening is really amazing, because one could live several lifetimes and still have so much to learn. I think I'll shut up now, but I do have at least one more to share.

I got into diving because of a guy, but I ran with it and really made it my own.

You can read my diving thread for the details.

Thread Information