Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killing our Keurig

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    We have two french press pots. One makes 1-2 cups, one makes...a huge amount.

If we have extra left over from the huge one, I stick in it the refrigerator and call it "cold brew".
    I add some ice and almond milk for a yummy drink

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I add some ice and almond milk for a yummy drink
    I add everything from cream and nut milks to cocoa powder and/or brandy; I've never been enchanted with the flavor of black coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    We have two french press pots. One makes 1-2 cups, one makes...a huge amount.

If we have extra left over from the huge one, I stick in it the refrigerator and call it "cold brew".

That is what I do too. I have one french press for 6 cups and one pour over. Left over gets saved in fridge for cold (I also pour a little in an ice try so when I make a cold drink it's not diluted with water). Coffee grounds go to compost.

My pet peeve is coffee makers with clocks of any sort. I actually have a deep dislike for clocks with numbers so digital clocks top that list and it frustrates me to no end that the stove, micro, radio/cd player in the kitchen already have clocks I can't hide...not the coffee maker too!!!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That's an interesting pet peeve, Float. I actually have a pet peeve in regard to all of the electronic lights that must remain on. I have been known to put electrical tape over them; everything seems to have a light- the dishwasher the refrigerator, the cable box, etc etc.

Back to the topic of coffee makers, I have one that is programmable and have come to find that an essential feature. The coffee maker begins its brew cycle automatically so my coffee is ready when I awaken.

The thing that I find makes the most difference in my coffee quality is utilizing filtered water.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    That's an interesting pet peeve, Float. I actually have a pet peeve in regard to all of the electronic lights that must remain on. I have been known to put electrical tape over them; everything seems to have a light- the dishwasher the refrigerator, the cable box, etc etc.

Back to the topic of coffee makers, I have one that is programmable and have come to find that an essential feature. The coffee maker begins its brew cycle automatically so my coffee is ready when I awaken.
    I know we do not serve the cause of truly excellent coffee by grinding it the night before and letting it sit in a non-airtight filter holder for hours. But I like having good (if not great) coffee available just when I wake up. I'll sacrifice that amount of quality. It's not like I could make it better at that hour anyway.

The clock on coffeemaker, though, is an LCD and barely visible when you're looking right at it. The clock on the stove can be switched off. And the microwave doesn't even have a clock. So it's pretty quiet in our kitchen.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

This is exactly what we have - stainless steel insulated french press and an electric kettle. the press is used every day and the kettle is used many times a day!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    This is exactly what we have - stainless steel insulated french press and an electric kettle. the press is used every day and the kettle is used many times a day!
    I am MORE than pleased with this system!! The French press coffee is easy to make and it's delicious. The kettle is elegant on the countertop and I know I'm not burning the coffee grounds. And the water heats up quickly--for coffee or tea. I don't miss that big drip coffee maker at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila

Any Keurig fans out there?

This is an old thread, but I figured no reason to start a new one.

Does anyone like their Keurig and want to keep it? Right now we use a 5-cup drip coffeemaker and an electric kettle for tea. I understand that you can make tea in a Keurig as well as coffee. I only like fresh coffee and I only drink one cup per day. Dh likes stronger coffee than I do and he drinks it throughout the day, one cup at a time. So we're always prepping and brewing and waiting.

I have a French press as well but I don't like having to wash the whole thing after every use and it looks dirty and greasy if I don't wash it. Although I do like the coffee it produces. Do you guys wash your press after each use? And Dh would never use the french press, finds it too much hassle.

So I'm thinking of trying a Keurig. I know the pods are wasteful, but I figure we have environmental credits to our name - no kids, no grandkids, not a single diaper in the landfill!

I haven't been happy with our Keurig and wish we'd never bought it. I think people who value a little variety in their coffee choices might enjoy one more since there are now so many pod choices available but I'm not a fan of coffee variety. Give me a cup of Maxwell House with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of Half & Half and I'm happy.

When this silly thing dies I'm going back to a simple Mr Coffee type drip machine.

We do have a French Press which we use when out and about in the camper and it works fine but I'm not a fan of the mess it makes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Gee, I don't think French presses make a mess.. at least no more than any pot that needs to be cleaned. I do rinse the press part and scrub with a dishwashing brush, but I don't find that to be a hassle either. I guess if you compare it to a Keurig, it is more of a hassle than that.

I don't miss my Keurig, nor my Cuisinart drip machine (I did really like that machine, though. It had a built-in coffee grinder, and the coffee quality was excellent).

Alan, Maxwell House?? Yuk. You're no coffee connoisseur. My DH tells me I'm fussy, and I probably am, but he's the guy who just this morning forgot to turn on the electric kettle and poured cold water into the French Press and then when he realized it, he put the cold-brewed coffee into the microwave and then drank it, so his opinion clearly doesn't count.

And yes, I'm catherine, and I'm a coffee-holic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information