Thread: Hit the motherload....of rock

Hit the motherload....of rock

A local apartment building put the word out "free landscape rock please come and get it". Their insurance is requiring they change from 1" river pebbles to tree bark mulch. Apparently the change will save them $2000 a year on insurance (due to kids throwing rocks and breaking windows).
    We've gone twice so far. It was much cleaner than I expected (I imagined a lot of cigarette butts and dog poo and trash). I've had several projects waiting on rock so I'm excited! We've gotten 25 full 5 gallon buckets so far and going for a third run tomorrow.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That is a wonderful discovery/resource!

What a treat!

Float On, what are your plans? Are you doing one of those dry river beds? I like that look in landscape. I see people also use rock for areas around mailboxes or along property borders too.

I'm surprised that insurers consider the 1" rock a liability - that would wipe out half of the desert landscape in the Southwest :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Float On, what are your plans? Are you doing one of those dry river beds? I like that look in landscape. I see people also use rock for areas around mailboxes or along property borders too.

I'm surprised that insurers consider the 1" rock a liability - that would wipe out half of the desert landscape in the Southwest :-)
    Lainey, I made one dry riverbed last summer, worked on another walkway over the winter, just redid the frog pond,

Oops. Lost my edit button, used some of this rock on my bubbler bed, and finished a sitting area, have three other areas I want rock instead of plants. It works for my glade.

I like creative, minimal use of rock in landscapes but seems like more and more people around here are just dumping rocks lot line to lot line. I am making a little "river bed" with rocks leading water away from the gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I like creative, minimal use of rock in landscapes but seems like more and more people around here are just dumping rocks lot line to lot line. I am making a little "river bed" with rocks leading water away from the gutters.
    I agree. I don't like the lot line to lot line "I'm trying to avoid mowing" look. I like for a yard to be more like rooms. With my natural solid rock patios and glades it lends more to the arid or xeriscaped landscape especially in the back yard. And I'm trying to go native in my plantings. I've become more aware of what patches of lawn dry up first and are more suitable for something other than just grass. Its a long process and I don't have the budget to just ring up a landscape architect and have it done. I'm hitting up a friend for manure compost next to work on a berm area for a butterfly garden but first...got to get some more free rock.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information