Thread: what to do with recipe book an downsizing!

what to do with recipe book an downsizing!

I have a wonderful personal recipe book that I have collected over the years. Just recently going back to veggie diet I have found those old recipes that I loved 25-30 years ago. So I am hesitant to let them go, it is one binder after all. However in my downsize situation I just can't keep this big binder with me. So my options are

*type in the favorites to my google drive so they are accessible on my tablet (very usable and time consuming)
    * scan them in in bulk (quick and easy, but difficult to find the recipe I need)
    * scan them in individually or in smaller chunks following my cookbook sections (medium time, medium time to find)

Any opinions or experience.

pull the ones you know you will use and put in a folder. Put the rest in a manilla envelope for later when you have time to scan and file.

Don't do a half job now and then rework later.

good idea, I can put it in the box with my photo projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    scan them in in bulk (quick and easy, but difficult to find the recipe I need)
    Is the problem with bulk scanning a bunch of almost-undifferentiated filenames? Might not take that long to review a scan and either rename it more accurately or use tags or labels (depending on your computer's operating system) to categorize/find them faster.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Other options:
    Take pictures of all the pages rather then scanning. Rename the index and then you could figure out what page is what number, based on the picture numbers.
    Scan and do the same index rename.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Is the problem with bulk scanning a bunch of almost-undifferentiated filenames? Might not take that long to review a scan and either rename it more accurately or use tags or labels (depending on your computer's operating system) to categorize/find them faster.
    Yes, I would have a hard time flipping through 50 pages on my tablet to find one recipe. I would have an easier time if I scanned all the sauces/soups section and named it that. I have a scanner available at work so I could do that pretty easily. I am putting everything into google docs rather than a computer, gotta love/hate thing with google docs!

I found my recipes (or a close enough equivalent) on Pinterest. I copied and made files there. Nice to have the pictures too.

Thread Information