Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trends in home decor

Trends in home decor

Last year I brought you the decor trends from big box stores like Hobby Lobby and Home ______(something) and Michaels that consisted mostly of

1) nautical themes

2) giant sized letters of the alphabet

3) lanterns.

So, as your emissary from consumer land, let me tell you what I saw last week:Farmhouse! We are all now expected to make our homes farm homes, even apparently (and probably especially)suburban track homes. So yeah. Itis a big NOPE for me.

The Farmhouse aesthetic is carried out through tin objects and signs. Tin vases, tin containers, objects d’arte in tin abound in the stores. And then, the most ridiculous thing, are 24” tin windmills, replicas of old farm windmills. I guess they look nice on your coffee table? I guess?

And then, the signs. All of them are on an off white background resembling chalk paint, or sometimes on faux weathered barn board, with wording such as “Farmhouse” or “Bless our nest” or “Bless our Farmhouse nest” or sometimes wording about chickens, eggs, and kitchens, and families. Oh yeah, and love. Wording sbout love.

This trend is so deeply felt by some that there is one tiny shop in the tiny town of Hermann MO where the entire floor is devoted to Farmhouse signs, linens declaring love of Farmhouses, and yes there is tin work there, too. How can this tiny place sell enough of this crap to stay open?

My mind is boggled.

This post is obviously a way for me to make fun of the mass consuming hordes, so beat me up. But I felt compelled to express my annoyance and disgust for this embracing of “authentic” life through objects made in China in a completely inauthentic way.

So they expect people to change all that stuff on a regular basis?
    I have only had 2 themes my entire life. The first was country and now I have wine/italy.

IL....you forgot to mention "shiplap"......
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    IL....you forgot to mention "shiplap"......

I know! shiplap! It is what our farmhouses should have!

finally decided to ignore the "trends." I am keeping my honey oak kitchen cabinets and my huge oak entertainment center.
    The kitchen cabinets are in perfect condition and the entertainment center has lots of storage for odds and ends.
    I like them and that is enough.

I try not to pay attention to decorating trends--like the ubiquitous gray on gray and moorish tile/lattice patterns everywhere. I like what I like, and I'll go with that.

I keep waiting for colored bathroom tile to come back. They're easy to clean...look shiny and fun so much different from rocks and gray and brown. So, we still have pale blue (1993) in one bath and peach and pale blue (1960s) in the other. The floor is vinyl in the peach bathroom. Gray kitchens....ick, ick, ick! My house is clearly "dated' and I'm fine with that. glad everything works!

I agree with you on the trendy themes! DH and I were actually LOOKING for tin stuff at an antique store where small buckets were going for $50. Then I happened to go to Michael's and the whole front of the store was devoted to tin--most of the stuff under $15. Didn't buy anything.

And I will never buy a weathered sign that says "EAT" or "KITCHEN" or "MAKING MEMORIES" Years ago I did buy a sign that appealed to me that says "Remember, as far as everyone else is concerned, we are a nice, normal family." That spoke to me and my insecurities, and so I do have it hanging in my kitchen in NJ.

My other guilty pleasure in terms of home stores is the section of Marshall's and TJ Maxx called Home Goods. I usually covet a ton of stuff there. And I did find some beautiful storage containers for my open shelving. But they don't look like fake vintage 40s enamel stuff. I passed that up.

The idea of buying tin collectibles from a chain store located in NJ and bringing them up to our Vermont farmland home seems so totally stupid.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have an old traffic sign at the foot of my cellar stairs that says "No Left Turn." Does that count? It isn't tin, though.
    I believe I learned the cool word "fake-tique from Float On.
    We are going out for belated Mother's Day tonight. They are having a Paint Night type of event later in the evening where one can paint an adorable sign out of pallet wood with a company called "Pine2Posh." They apparently have come all the way from Indiana. (We are not participating).
    Catherine, the sign that really kills me is the one that says "ALWAYS KISS ME GOODNIGHT." Um no, if DH needed a large written mandate on a sign, I would rather go to sleep unkissed.

I blame Joanna Gaines (Fixer Upper host on HGTV). This trend has been on up here in the PacNW for quite some time.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information